Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roe recipes?
Anyone have a great recipe for curing roe? I've never done it before but since I have come into a small supply I'm interested in giving it a shot. send me a PM if you don't want to share it with everyone. Thanks in advance.
[signature]
i buy the pre set up stuff and it works great its called Pautzke fire cure it works great i use orange but there are four colors. ive caught a lot of steelies on it including the one that pops up on my posts here is a link to their site. they also garuntee you will catch more steelhead with their cure. now thats going out on a limb.

[url "http://www.pautzke.com/"]http://www.pautzke.com/[/url]
[signature]
I've used jello to cure eggs. The pectin in it cures them good and gives you different colored eggs depending on which flavor you use. Orange flavor seems to work the best for me.
[signature]
Jello and Borax, 50/50 mixture and just cram as much as you can into the folds, leave it overnight. Then you can wrap them up in paper towels vacuum pack it and freeze it.
[signature]
I've messed with procure, pautzke fire cure, wizard, and they all work. But none of them work right until you add Borax to them, and maybe that's just superstition talking.[Smile] I have also found that if you dry them a little first, then add cure and let sit in a rag to "bleed" and then put them in whatever container you wish, they turn out better. And one more thing, take it from someone who's been in the doghouse! Don't use that colored cure on your kitchen counter, or anything else you dont want to stain, it does not come off! I also think the colors you use should depend on the conditions you fish, natural colors for clear water and darker colors for less visability. This last trip the plain borax cure worked better than the fire cure w/ crill. ?
[signature]
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I ended up keeping it as simple as possible for my first time. I let the roe dry for about 8 hours in the fridge on some paper towels. I then put it in a container and coated thoroughly with a 50/50 mix of borax (dark pink) and raspberry jello. I mixed around a few times the first hour then every few hours after that for about 6 hours. I then let it sit in there about 20 hours. After that I rinsed it, placed the roe on wax paper and let it dry in the fridge for 24 hrs. It has now been placed in ziploc and into the freezer. Don't know how it will work, but it looks good and feels like it should hold up pretty well. Either way, I figure I'm no worse off than I was before when I had no roe except that gooey mess that can be bought at the store. When I get to use it I'll post a report. The pic is the final product.
[signature]
That looks like a good batch of eggs. I may try your recipe next time.[Smile]
[signature]