Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2nd Steelhead trip
Fished again around Kooskia. North fork, South fork and the Middle fork of the Clearwater. The water on the south fork where we spent most of our time had gone down and actualy had gotten a LOT muddier. The visibility was really poor. We threw everything we had and then some for 2 days. Nobody on the river was catching much. So we made a few runs to the middle fork and north fork to see if we could round up some fish. Not much going on and we only saw a few fish the whole trip caught here and there. I did catch one fish. My wife and friend didnt catch any. But both hooked fish and lost them. Mine was foul hooked through the tail and quite the interesting fish. Dorsal fin was missing and so was the right pectoral fin. So it probably swam twice as far as all the other fish because it swam in circles. Ha!
[signature]
That one nice Clearwater hen makes it all worth it though, don't it! Nice fish, keep beaten the water and one of these trips will be awesome. That's how steelheadin' goes.
[signature]
Thanks for the report. Sounds like your second trip was more in line with the reality of steelhead fishing.

Windriver
[signature]
nice hen. it will not always be like your last 2 trips some days you cant keep the steelhead off your line. other days cant touch a single fish. guess you will have to keep steelhead fishing to find out.
[signature]
i have seen them missing fins like that before i have been told its because they were in a gil net and managed to excape but who know. Sounds like you had another great trip.
[signature]
Nice fish
[signature]
that looks like a wild but thats the thing you never know when other fins are cut i know that if it was a hatchery fish and has pec fins cut thay have a micro chip in them that the g&f scane and tell you every thing about that fish i have caught 1 in orifino and 3 on the salmon its really a cool thing but how many hatchery fish never get cut ? remmeber the indians can keep wilds and thay have a magger part of the hatcherys on the res.awsome fish nice job.
[signature]