Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Showdown fish finder review 3-19-09
I got my upgraded-to-version 5.6 Showdown back yesterday and immediately tried it out. I found that it worked substantially better than the prior 3.2 version unit that I had; however, it still didn't meet my expectations. One plus with the new software version is that one can move the zoomed area 1 foot at a time. This is a major improvement. It marked my jig well; whereas, with my prior unit it wouldn't mark my jig until it sit still for a couple of seconds. I didn't test it in water any deeper than about 45' but it easily marked my jig at that depth, and it likely will do so at far greater depths (my prior unit would not mark my jig any deeper than about 40-45'). The area that is still a challenge is interference. Anytime I was anywhere near George's Marcum interference was a problem. I tried stepping it through all 10 rejection levels and I could decrease the interference a little but that was it.
[signature]
i think i'll keep my X135.. lol sounds like it's a lot better! and it's the one that does the interfering. [sly] i have not had it near a unit that will effet it very much yet! [crazy]
[signature]
Thanks for another update Kent. Sounds better, but still a work in progress.
[signature]
People have mentioned to me before that the Marcum is a 'bully' when it's around other finders. I'm glad though that you saw some improvement with the newer version. I also did notice some
interference on the Marcum when our units are close together and the water is deeper than 20'. I was able to clear most of it with a couple of pushes on the IR button.

I'll bring the Humminbird ICE 35 next time (if there is a next time) and test it against the Showdown. [Wink]
Hi Kent,
Thanks for the up date, what did you have to do to get them to upgrade yours,
My ShowDown is still working great buy if I needs to get the upgrade, I would like to know what to do ?
I guess I got a good one because I have not had no problems with it I love mine so far ? [Smile]
But I guess that could change real fast if it stops working right Ha,Ha [Wink]
[signature]
I just called the telephone number in the manual, got a RA number and shipped it to them. There is a $50 fee to upgrade. Because I had problems with two different units and I had only owned the second unit for a short time, I was able to talk them down to $25.
[signature]
Thank you for the info Kent. [Wink]
[signature]