Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crowley F.A.T.I.T Tourney
Even though my truck got stuck in third gear and I was towed 120 miles from Mojave to Long Beach the tourney was again a blast. Everybody caught large trout from 1 1/2 pounds to the winning weight of an Alpers at 5.14 pounds (I think) Crowley is an amazing lake. It has 5 different species of trout and the grow from a fingerling planted size in Nov. to sometimes over 3 pounds in 8 months. When we fished with bait we waded through at least 30 trout looking for trout over 2 pounds. (The tourney records only trout over 2 pounds)The hot trolling bait was a 5 inch broken back Rapala and a Bubble gum colored Needlefish, both trolled at 4 colors of lead line. Inflated worms were the hot baits. There were 268 anglers on the lake suffering two days of 85 degree sun and very little wind. It was a super time and the highlight was that everyboby caught brown trout for the first time. I count my blessings that my truck broke down after the tourney. F.A.T.I.T means FINEST ANNUAL TROUT INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT
[signature]
George, I am looking forward to your recap article that will go into the next issue of Fish Taco Chronicles.

Sorry to hear about the truck woes.

shawn
[signature]

Hi gvanzant,

Thank you for your usual interesting and always topical info.

I'm doing some research on regional hybrid trout in the US and wonder if you have an internet site I could go to get detailed information on the Alpers and Lightening Trout strains.

I've searched and searched on the web but I only get fishing reports when Alpers are caught and info on Dr. Alpers and his clinical studies!! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hi JapanRon: The fish and Game have a brochure about all the hybrids they are involved with. The lightning trout is a hybrid developed by the Mt. Shasta Fish Hatchery and has no affiliation with the Fish and Game. I was lucky to attend the Santa Ana River Lakes first introduction of these beauties. We heard a lecture about how they developed them. In a nutshell lighting trout are rainbows. When a female lays her eggs thousands of them are squirted out. About one in a thousand is a resessive gold color. They find two resessive types of different gender and mate them. It's a long process but they end up with all gold trout because two resessives make a dominant gene. Weird huh!

When you fish Crowley you will catch 5 different strains. The one I like best is the Eagle Lake cuttthroat.
[signature]

Thank you gvanzant,

Yes, I hit some sites that had discussions on how certain strains were developed. As I'm sure you're familiar, the dominate species, and the species from which traits are going to be extracted (be engineered with), can often only produce a viable varient when the male and female counterparts are matched correctly. The Tiger Trout, as an example, is made using a female Brown Trout and a male Brook Trout. The other way around gets you nothing or a genetic mess. Lots of other examples of, not selective breeding, but male/female gene swapping too. Seems like it's a brave, but not too careful world out there! ha ha

Again, thank you for the input and hope to read more of your always interesting contributions.

JapanRon
[signature]
Hello Guys,

Hey Big George sorry to hear about the truck but was glad to hear the F.AT.I.T. was again a blast.

Who were the tourney winners?

Did you get a chance to chuck the "Willey" at the trout?

P.S. (F.A.T.I.T., pronounced FAT TIT) The man who named that tourney definetly had a male demographic in mind, I love it (LOL)!!!
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
[size 2][size 1]The FATIT (FINEST ANNUAL TROUT INVITATIONAL TOURNAMENT) was conducted June 7th and 8th weekend. 268 anglers fished Lake Crowley Friday and Saturday. Dave Appling the tourney director, awarded the big fish award to Jim Leonetti of Los Alamitos whose rainbow weighed in at 5.46 pounds. In second place was Jim Duncan of Seal Beach with a rainbow weighing 5.36 pounds and closely following for third place was a 5.32 pound rainbow caught by Ron Pawlacyk of Rossmoor.[/size]

[size 1]Special awards for the largest brown trout was won by first place finisher, David Buckman of Mammoth with a 4.80 pounder; second place was won by Rod Wilson from Fresno with a brown 3.80 pounds and in third place Georgie Sagen of Los Alamitos sporting a fish weighing 3.76 pounds.[/size]

[size 1]The total tean weight winners were Ron Kutzke, Temecula and teammate Will Pleas with a two day total of 28.62 pounds. (Only fish that weight 2 pounds or more qualify for the weigh in.) [/size][/size]
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
wow... a close race!

joe
[signature]