Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
boulder mountain info
anybody gone to boulder mountain lately. just curious to see what you guys are using. and what the weather has been like. im going to st. george this weekend and im not too familiar with the area so if you guys know of anywhere thats good for fishing down there at this time of year.
thanks guys.
[signature]
It's still pretty early to be thinking about hitting the Boulder Mountains. Most lakes are closed until the 3rd Saturday of April. Those that are open with either still be covered with ice, or be difficult to access without an ATV or snowmobile.

I noticed you mentioned you're not too familiar with the area, so here's a little info for you:

Distance to Escalante from St. George: 185 miles
Approx. elevation of North Creek lakes (Barkers, etc.): 9,500 ft.

You'll be better off waiting until June to make a trip to the Boulders -- and even in June you need to be ready for snow.

If you're headed to St. George this weekend, you might want to take a look at Sand Hollow. This storm might have pushed those bass back a bit, but they should be starting to "wake up" a bit. Throwing a wooly bugger around some rocky shorelines with a bit of brush could be a ton of fun!
[signature]
welcome to the sight, PBH is right about the weather down there. The mountain is still in winter conditions. An option though, you could try the fremont river or the river that comes out of calf creek falls toward escelante i have had good days on both early in the year. Again The bass at sand hollow could still be your best bet
[signature]
If your going to be down in St. George and you want to fish for some trout try Baker Res. Its 23 miles North West of the city and people have been catching some very nice browns up that way. Good luck
[signature]
Calf Creek is a ton of fun to fish. If you have a little 3wt or lighter you can keep busy all day hunting the little browns amongst the redrock. They're really spooky, I spent a lot of time on my knees while fishing it, but I caught over a hundred of the little buggers the last time I was down there. Another stream right near by that I really enjoyed was North Creek itself, not the lakes. There were some pretty nice cutts and a fair number of brook trout as well in that stream.
[signature]
I'd agree Calf Creek is a fun little creek to fish with a 2 or 3 wt rod. I like to fish downstream of the state park just a bit. Some cutts in there as well as browns with fish to the mid teens. The fish seem to be smaller and spookier within the state park and mostly browns.The last time I fished it in April there where a few no-see-ums so bring some bug spray if those things bother you. I've never driven from St. George to the area but it has to be a bit of a drive.
[signature]
Yeah, that lower section definitely has some better fish. Plus you don't have all the people on the hiking trail spooking the fish as they walk by. I also decided to venture down to the escalante river just downstream of it's confluence, but I'd say it was a bit on the warm and silty side, even in April. I got a nicer cutt and a small brown and that was it. There were also some huge suckers in there, which in my desperation I'll admit I tried to catch, but they wanted nothing to do with my nymph.
[signature]