Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Help me tube this lake for bows.
Hi!

Just found this place not far from my house that they stock with rainbows. It opens in a few weeks, and I have no idea how to fish for stocked bows. Its a small 2 - 3 acre lake. How would you fish it? I included a cheesey google sketchup pic.

[Image: stjohns.jpg]
[signature]
I don't fish for trout much nowadays, but if it were me I'd troll around with a nightcrawler weighted down with a split shot. I'd focus on 10-20 foot depths, possibly deeper if it's warm where you are. Look out for signs of shallow fish near the surface, especially early or late. If you find them active near the surface, fish the nightcrawler with no weight or throw small kastmasters, spinners or rapalas at them.

Or you could camp out in a likely area and fish a ball of powerbait and half a crawler on a sliding sinker rig with a small treble and about 1/4 oz. of weight.
[signature]

Either way, I do fish for Trout. I also fly fish, but this can be done with any rod. If you can get out in the water, find out the depth, if you can't, take a guess.
If you know the depth, set an indicator or a bobber one foot shallower than the water. If you don't know the depth, start of with maybe 6'.

Now...Chironomids or Nymphs. I would tie on a #16 bead head chironomid (basically a hook covered with thread with a small bunch of peacock behind the bead) Black with white or blue wire.
I would tie that on the end (again...suspended one foot off the bottom or 6') then I would put a tag of about 6" to 8" about two feet up from the end and put a beadhead Prince Nymph #16 on.

Cast it out, and watch the bobber go down.

Now if you are out in a tube, you could have one pole rigged for trolling and then the deep nymph on the other. Troll till you find a school then deep nymph.

I am betting though, the trout are everywhere.
[signature]
I would try and fish it where the small creek enters the lake in early morning or late evening. Rainbows spawn in the spring and that would be where I would bet they would be. Fishing for stocked bows is just like wild bows except that stocked bows are a little, well ok, a lot dumber.
[signature]
[quote prvrt]I would try and fish it where the small creek enters the lake in early morning or late evening. Rainbows spawn in the spring and that would be where I would bet they would be. Fishing for stocked bows is just like wild bows except that stocked bows are a little, well ok, a lot dumber.[/quote]

LMAO...but true. I fish allot of ponds and they really are all over the place. Not like lakes or Res.
The inlet would be a good choice, but I am betting it doesn't really matter...but you can let us know!
[signature]