Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
down riggers
Has anyone ever heard a "HUMMING" noise comming from their down rigger while trolling?
If you have, do you have any ideas about eliminating the noise? I don't know how much it's effecting my fishing, but it sure is aggravating.
Zug Bug
[signature]
When I am using my downrigger I sometimes also get that annoying humming sound. Short of changing my trolling speed, I haven't discovered a way to get rid of it. I think because my boat has an aluminum shell that it also magnifies the sound.
[signature]
Technical questions...I love em! The "humming sound" is low frequecy vibrations in the wire connecting the ball to the downrigger. As you move through the water the friction of the water reacts with the wire to cause vibration (like slowly rubbing a guitar string). You can never eliminate it but there are ways to lessen it. First, install a piece of 5 or 6mm neopreme between the rigger mount and the boat. It will act as a gasket to prevent the vibration from the motor acting on the wire. Second, always use the smallest diameter wire you can find for the weight of the ball you are using, you should always use the lightest ball you can get away with. If you are pulling Koke Killers there is no need for a 5 or 8 pound ball, a three pounder will work just fine. Third, try glueing a band of neopreme on the pulley of the rigger. It will act as a cushion and may dampen the the vibrations, be warned it may make them worse depending on the set-up so only use a low strength RTV in case you have to remove it. The wire will cut through the neopreme after a short time, another reason for the RTV. Use the shortest scope (lenght of the main rigger rod) you can. The more rigid the rigger rod, the less vibration you'll have. Some old timers on the Great Lakes I know even glue wooden dowls in the rigger rods to make them more rigid. Last, always use a shock absorber between the release and the ball. Some lures with a lot of action increase the vibration, especially Flatfish and Rapala types or popgear/ fordfenders. I even use cheap rubber bands between the fishing line and the release to lessen the effect even more, plus I find it increases my hook ups. Hope this helps. For answers to all your questions visit [url "http://www.TheIFGknowseverythingexcepthowtospellandcatchmusky.org"]www.TheIFGknowseverythingexcepthowtospellandcatchmusky.org[/url]

IFG
IFG,
Thanks for the suggestions, now I know what to do with that old pair of leaky neopreme waders of mine.
Oh, you mentioned glueing a strip of neopreme to the pully with low strength RTV. What is RTV?
Zug Bug
[signature]
Silicone !! gasket maker in a tube .
[signature]
[#ff0000]It's that resonance problem all right, anything you can do to dampen the vibration or change it's frequency will help. Ya' know when you throw a tire balance weight and get a tire out of balance, you vaguely notice it until you hit a certain speed that matches its resonance frequency which amplifies it and then pounds your vehicle like crazy. If you look at your tire tread the traction bands are all irregular and different thicknesses to prevent any kind of a pattern to cut down on tire noise. Another example is putting cat whiskers on your bow string to dampen your "twang" or disrupt its resonance when you let that arrow go. Good suggestions from IFG. Change your speed, change your weight, change your wire, combinations and dampen your hardware. The thinner wire and heaver weight will resonate at a higher frequency and speed, (lead guitar) the lighter weight and thicker wire will resonate at a lower frequency and speed, (bass guitar). You'll never get rid of the vibration completly but you can eliminate the combination that "sings" to you. Find the combination and dampening that is the quietist for the speeds you like to troll at. [/#ff0000]
[signature]
I keep forgetting not everyone is a mechanic. It's a generic term for, as HA69 said, silicon caulk. It stands for "room temperature vulcanizing rubber". It consists of a family of different stuff but Goop and Form-a-Gasket are the most popular. Any auto parts or home repair store will have it. Next time your on an airliner look out the window, it's what's holding the wing on.

IFG