Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eyein' the Creek
Yesterday was overcast and windy on the Deer Creek. Very windy that I shut down the motor and went drifting in 2 foot wind swells. White-cappin' is more to the scenario. Boy! what an eyetastic day. I trolled/drifted the north island, kablam! 8 walleyes in that area. Winds and frothy whitecaps forced me to find cove with wind protection until the winds die down. That put me in wallsburg bay where I caught 4 more marbles.

There were quite a few men clearly associated with AAARP crowd, catching a huge mess of trout. It was good to see them yellin' and hootin' when they get one on the line. They asked me how to catch a 'eye so I offered a couple of pointers. They say, "rainbows are more manageable and easier to catch..." blah blah... I had to chuckle about that and quipped to them that "easy fishing takes the fun out of the game, and one must always be up for the walleye challenge."

The winds died down and I high-tailed out of wallsburg bay for the island where I caught 3 more steely-eyes. I hadda go home for the honey-do's list. It was a great day out on the windy creek. There were a few boat out there that day, mostly in Wallsburg bay.
[signature]
Great report, now if you could only figure out how to catch those walleyes! I'm just jealous, I can catch them if I go out with Utwalleye, but if I try on my own I have struggled. I blame it on not having an electric trolling motor, sounds better than admitting that I am a poor walleye fisherman.
[signature]
Key is controlling your boat speed. If you're drifting too fast because of strong winds, use a drift sock to slow the boat down. I'm using a 40 horse with a happy troller plate, this works just fine. I have trolled with just the main motor on those windless days, and windy days, works just fine.

I rarely use my trolling motor at the bow. I use the bow mounted motor for bassin', or in real shallow places along shoreline (starvation's midnight eyes).

However if you're in shallow places, the a side-planer would be your bet. There are answers to every walleye approach. The only time they shut down is when it's winter, or the barometer bottomed out to the point you can't pry their mouths open.
[signature]
Cant believe you dont use your bow mount to control the boat in the wind,I tried alot of different thing to try to slow the boat down and found if you hold the boat side ways in the wind (depending on the size of the waves,and your boat)I can keep a 1/4 oz walking sinker on the bottom and get a good stop go action out of the rodholder.works great at deer creek,it always blows at deer creek,and yuba also,I would also like to say UTWalleye is a great walleye fisherman,He put me on some walleye 3 years ago and the spot always produces.thanks Chuck.

Everyone has a different way to control there boat,so you have to learn what works for you.

Tight lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
hey paul, i was up there too, but i was not fishin this time, i was bow fishing for carp, the wind was so bad it made the water too cloudy to see the fish so i decided to head home, did you see me and my sister walking the banks out in the flats?
[signature]