Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Handheld Radios
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]I‘ve been thinking about purchasing some GRMS or FMS handheld radios. I’d like to use them on the water and talk to other boats during a day of fishing. I know the range can vary from 2 to 7 miles and they don’t cost a lot. I also know they have different channels and sub-channels like a VHF or CB but that’s the extent of my knowledge base on these things. [/size][/#122629][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]What does a guy need? Which makes and models are the preferred units? Are there marine ubits that can take a little water without putting you out a bunch of bucks?[/size][/#122629][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3][#122629] [/#122629][/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629][size 3]I also had the thought that if a lot of BFT folks had them it would be an easy way for everyone to communicate when, say, you’re on Willard and want to know how fisherfolks in other areas are doing. We could pick a channel and sub-channel and use it all the time. Just a thought…[/size][/#122629][/font]
[signature]
I have some that I bought from COSTCO. They have a new model where you get two motorolla units w/ rechargable bats, base and belt clips and a hand free unit for like 50 bucks. We use them for everything, especially boating and group caravan trips. Also better than yelling at the boat ramp. It would be a great idea for finding fellow members on the water.

-OEJ
[signature]
Good idea BLM. I would tend to lean towards the higher powered GRMS units, but they do require an FCC license to operate...I've heard it is very easy to obtain. The frequencies are all the same, so unit incompatability is not an issue. I don't own any personally, but I'd probabaly go with motorola or cobra if I were to buy a pair.
[signature]
I think would be a great idea. if we are voting count me in.

have to figure out a universal BFT channel.
[signature]
[cool]Two-way radios are cheap and fun. TubeBabe and I take out our little set of Motorola units whenever we go tubin', and it is great to be able to communicate back and forth. Of course, there's always the option of clicking off or ignoring someone if you don't care to respond...or listen.

Some of the boating and float tube clubs around the country make on-the-water communication a standard part of every outing. Everybody tunes in to a predetermined channel and there is a constant flow of chatter. Of course, on a busy lake, you can get cross talk from others on the same channel.

Like sonars and GPS units, the more power and features you want, the deeper you have to go into the budget. But you can start for under $40 for a set and don't have to spend over a $100 for good range.

If you are going to run your unit off the boat's battery system, you can get a radio or CB with much greater range. On our small units, we use the AA size batteries. We immediately got the rechargeables, which we charge up after every use. These will power a unit for a full day on the water, with capacity left over. Out in the tubes, we wear them around our necks, with a piece of elastic cord. This keeps them handy for quick one-handed use.

About that cross talk. Sometimes when we haven't been chattering on our channel for awhile, we will get conversations from others who think they are not being monitored. Some people are either exhibitionists, or stupid...or both. Be careful what you say, because you never know how many others are listening...willingly or otherwise.

TubeDude
[signature]
I have a set that I use primarily for launching or retrieving the boat. They work great; however, I do need to get rechargeable batteries (mine use two AA batteries and gobbles them up if I leave it on for any period of time). I think it would be a great idea for BFT members to get on one channel on a body of water.
[signature]
Last Thanksgiving I went on a family reunion, everyone brought their little radios, and every family had a different model. We chose a chanel and sub-chanel w/o alot of chatter already, and it worked great!

If we had a BFT chanel (including a subchanel) with a couple of alternatives in case there was already alot of traffic on the first choice, I would defitnally bring my radio along. when I fish Deer Creek or Utah Lake, I'm usually alone on my pontoon. I would love to hear how others are doing, I would especially like to know what is catching fish at the time!

I have a set of radios that cost me $40 at walmart. They have worked very well. I have seldom found that I need more than a 1-2 mile range. However, I do not do a lot of hiking in the mountains or get far enough away from those I am with to necessitate more.

Good luck!

Es
[signature]
[Smile]This sounds like a great idea! Count me in. When everyone decides what to get, I'll get one also. It also has a HUGE safety factor in case of problems. You know, like someone needing help reeling or netting a fish.
[signature]
I'm looking at the new Rino line from Garmin. They not only have the 5 mile (depending on terrain) range, they have a built in GPS map to show you where there are any other Rino's are within the range. They are a little expensive in comparison to regular radios, but remember that you are getting a handheld radio and a handheld GPS in one package. Here is some more info.

[url "http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/"]http://www.garmin.com/products/rino/[/url]
[signature]
IWhenever I am on the water I keep mine tuned into CH7 SUB 11 and I keep it online all the time. I am actually planning on taking an emergency trip to willard tonight so I will be online, if anyone is there give me a shout. I am most frequently on Strawberry, now probably on Willard and Pineview.
[signature]
BLM,

Are you teasing me with two technical questions in one week? I'll answer later but I have got to get to bed.

IFG
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]Well, I went to your website and couldn't find the answer. Come to think of it, I couldn't find the website...[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]So the answer is YES, I'm asking for your technical expertise once again. [/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3](Edit) I do have VHF radio on my boat but nobody else does! So I figured a low cost alternative would be the GMRS radios.[/size][/font]
[signature]
hey blm, me and road both care considering taking ares out on the water so if you have a sertain channle and sub chanle in mind let me know and i will spread the word to road. it is a great idea so at the next group meeting we all can stay in contact and find out what were catching and where.
[signature]
Man BLM,I was just thinking about that the last time I was on willard,If you get some,let me know what one's you got,I will probably get the rechargeable type with the 5 mile limit.

If we all get them and find a channel for BFT members to be on at any water in the state,that would be cool[cool]

Let me know.

Later,Tony[cool]
[signature]
Great idea! I have a pair of Bellsouth 2 mi. range units that I rarely use. The pair cost about $60 if I remember correctly. I also have a single Radioshack unit but it doesn't have a scanning option like the others. I would love to get a pair of 5 mi. range units. I think you can get these higher ranged ones without needing a license, does anyone know anything about that?

If we ever decide on a set channel to use, I will keep mine on that channel.

D
[signature]
Killerbee is right you need a FCC license to use the higher powered units, I've heard the ones with 5 mile range reguire the license, does anyone know for sure? I know a couple of people at work that know the rules because they have the license but I'm not at work, I'll check with they tomorrow. I have a couple with the two mile range and they will work at a greater range on a flat area like Willard maybe from one end to the other, that is 5 or 6 miles, we should give it a try and see if they will work. Kent is right they eat batteries but they should last for one day depending on how much you use them. Hey BLM, will the unit on your boat operate on the same channel as the smaller units or have you tried it? WH2
[signature]
Anything that can transmit farther than 2 miles requires licensing. That is the cut off point by the FCC. (exception is the CB radio, it was excluded back in the 80s when it became so popular). Now that is as far as I know, the rules may have changed again in the lat 10 years.

road
[signature]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I've got a handheld CB. They aren't that much more than a GMRS radio; cheaper than some. I like the idea of 5 to 7 miles range because Willard and Bear Lake (and others) are at least that large.[/size][/font]

[font "Comic Sans MS"][size 3]I'd also get a license if need be. I just want to be able to talk with everyone. It beats yelling over engine noise and only hearing a third of the conversation. It also beats fishing in a slow area when a quick call can put everyone on the fish.[/size][/font]
[signature]
I own several [font "Comic Sans MS"][#122629]GRMS [/#122629][/font]handheld Radios 5 to 7 mi. They work great in the car and around the lake areas. I also use them for Boy Scouting Programs like Summer Camps. I also use them when we go climbing at Red Rock Canyon and Valley of Fire. We can communicate on the repelling lines and well as when we climb. There are time we just can't see each other.

[Image: DSCN2337_small.JPG][Image: DSCN2298_small.JPG]
[signature]
All,
FMS/FRS (family mobile radio service) and GRMS (general radio mobile service) radios operate on the 462/467MHZ band of UHF (ultra high frequency). FMS uses the first 7 channels of this band. GRMS uses the first 7 and remaining 8. Little basic radio stuff: All radios operate line of sight (LOS) only, with the exception of some superduper military stuff. That means the antenna of one radio must "see" the antenna of the radio it's trying to talk too. Since the curvature of the earth eliminates LOS at 7 miles, that is about the max distance to expect. There are ways to increase the distance but, I"ll get into that later. There are several differences between the FRS/GMRS. FRS radios are limited to .5 watts of output power, seldom can they reach more than a mile except in very open terrain. There is no license required for FRS radios. It's against FCC regs. to put an antenna, other than the one it comes with on an FRS radio, thereby, it's ability to recieve transmissions is limited. Remember, if one radio is on a mountain top talking to a radio on another mountain top it's possible to get a longer distance, since there is nothing to inhibit the radio waves. On a large lake FRS radios would have limited use for ship - ship communication. The boats would have to be close, say within 1 or 2 miles max.
GRMS radios are much more powerfull. They have a 5 watt max output. They can also have external antennas. The higher your antenna is in the air, the more you defeat the curvature of the earth. Plus, GRMS has 8 repeater channel pairs that can be used to increase your range. More radio stuff: When one radio talks to another radio it's called simplex communication. When you use a repeater (a repeater takes the signal it recieves and rebroadcasts it)it's called simulcast. Repeaters are placed on top of buildings or mountains and can greatly increse the range of your radio. The bad news is using a repeater is not free. Somebody owns it and you have to pay them to use it. Since all GRMS users must be licensed it easy to track down someone that uses repeaters (bootleggers) without paying. The FCC does a poor job of enforcing the bootleg rule, I doubt anyone has ever been prosecuted for using a repeater without authority. But, someone paid to build and maintain it, it's only fair to help them cover the cost. Of the two radio types GRMS would be more effective for BFT members to use for on water communication. GRMS radios are expensive compared to FRS radios. The GRMS license is $75.00 for 5 years, if you need to change your license, it's another $45.00. I haven't checked into repeater availability in the SLC area so I don't know if you can even buy air time on one. I, however, have a better idea (of course). See VHF marine radios for BFT users. I'll post it later this morning.
IFG