Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Evning trip (4-5-09)
bhowick and I had quite a day. We strated at noon looking for coyotes to shoot at out west then headed out to Willard. I'll save the hunting for the hunting forum.

We launched the boat at 6:30pm and headed south right away. We took a look at the sunken island, but the sonar showed no fish worth talking about.

We got to the S. Marina and trolled to the east allong the shoreline. I wasn't paying attantion at one point while we were movin' along and we ended up a little deeper then I wanted, we had moved out to about 15-18 feet of water, then I saw the Lowrance screen... FISH, lots of them!!! No tackers at all through sundown, but wow did we mark the fish. We were both excited when we saw the screen, but no bites. All the fish we marked were in 15 feet or deeper.

We both have 2 pole permits and set up all four rods. One with a bottom bouncer/spinner tipped with a Gulp Alive Grub, one with a ratt-l-trap, one with a deep running shad rap, and one with a jointed shallow runnning rapala. Nothing hit at all. We did get excited when we saw a fish surface right next to the boat though!!! Then we saw another one in front of the boat about 20 feet away, and I thought it was the start of a "wiper boil" that you guys have told me about, BUT when we got closed to the fish that were on the surface we clearly saw they we carp. So that was Sad.

So, no fish, but this was the first time since I moved here that I watched the sunset over the mountains. Beautiful!!! I sat in the boat and commented to Bryan that this was one of the most beautiful evenings I have seen in a long time... Then I realized that I was sitting in the boat with a GUY and watching the sunset. We BUSTED out laughing and both of us agreed that we wouldn't speak of this again.... Oooops now its on the NET.... LOL Sorry bryan... We better not tell the wifes though, they'll want to go with us next time... LOL
[signature]
That is sooooo romantic. LOL Fishing will get better when the water warms up. [Smile]
[signature]
You may have been marking carp. Nice to know the depth sounder works anyway.

The sunsets on the Wasatch are some of the best in the world. Not Key West, but some of the nicest in the world. Maybe if there was a pier with live music and a bar at Willard it would be as good as Key West, but maybe not quite.

You should have fished the Island. Casting small jigs under a slip bobber can score the crappie. I think it is still to early for trolling. Need a few more degrees in water temp.
[signature]
Willard has some of the best sunsets for sure.
I would agree with trolling this early to. I have heard small jigs below bobbers work very well when the water is cold,most the people that are crappie fishing get a wiper surprise
[signature]