Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
WOW! That's a GIANT....oh, never mind
I hit the Henry's Fork again today and again she was good to me. I went both below and above St. Anthony. I only had about three hours of actual fishing time, and ended up landing 14 and losing a couple. I got both a rainbow and a brown that went 19 inches on the tape, a couple 18's and several 17's. Have I mentioned that I love the Henry's Fork?
I'll tell this story becasue I'm sure it's happened to most of us before and it's frustrating as heck:
Last time I went out I found an awesome looking pool with a deep channel right allong a bank with overhanging willows. If I were a monster trout that's where I would live. I got skunked there with my nymph rig last time, so this time I came prepared with streamers and sinking line. After 7 or 8 fruitless casts I hooked up with what I was sure was the monster I had hoped and dreamed of. He ran all over the hole, bending my 5 wt in half. I never even saw him for the first few minutes. I was sure I had a 10# trout on! But then all of a sudden the fish gave up and let me real it in from about 40 feet downstream, while just sitting on top of the water, that's when I got suspicious. I finally saw it and it ended up being about a 9# sucker that I snagged in the tail[mad][:/][pirate]. Needless to say, I was just a hair dissapointed.
But all in all it was another great trip, even if it was short.
[signature]
yep, Ive had that happen with suckers many times. It always makes me laugh.

I still need to get to the Henrys Fork. I fished Crystal Springs today with my kids.

Windriver
[signature]
I have had the exact same thing happen on the Boise River. I was nymphing, though I hooked into a really nice rainbow and it ended up being a huge sucker I snagged. Still fun to catch though Smile Just not very pretty. Good report. And thank you for the info you gave me in the other post. I didn't really get to go fishing today like I was going to. Maybe Wednesday.
[signature]
A nice thrill while it lasts...I've had days that I've had nothing hit my line...catching a sucker is better than not catching anything at all!
[signature]
I must have angered the fishing gods or something. I started at Chester dam and after an hour gave up. Went up to vernon bridge and skunked again, but saw 3 fish hooked. Saw another fisherman hook up downstream of Chester dam. I eventually went to Ririe and saw a bunch of deer, but still no fish. I suspect I could have done ok if I didn't have the 2 1/2 yr old that kept me from wading and flyfishing. Glad to hear that the fish are at least there. Maybe I will manage to get it right next time.

Glad you had a good day up there though[Smile]
[signature]
Glad to hear I was not the only person who had a slow day fishing. I started out at AF Res. 4 hours and nothing. Only seen one fish caught there that was about 1lb. Ended up down by McTuckers, fished a side channel for about 1 hour , nothing. Went into McTuckers and back to the boat dock and fished the river there. Finally, Fish On!
Nice fish, pulled hard at first, then slowly came in. 6 lbs and 24". [Image: happy.gif] About 30 mins later I caught another, just a little smaller by about 2". [Image: beaten.gif] That was it for the rest of the day. I was really starting to wonder if I was gonna get skunked. Next weekend has got to be better. [fishin]
[signature]
LOL What a rush! Had the same thing happen to me just above the Fun Farm bridge on an egg pattern.

Strip strip strip and WHAM! I can just picture the symphony going off in your head, especially because you were fishing a streamer! I wish I could have seen the look on your face when you realized what it was.[cool]
[signature]
It's happened many times to me as well. I've had it be carp or whitefish more often than suckers, but same idea. I remember one time it was a brown trout, maybe 16", and he was tail hooked. He took off downstream and I had to chase him a ways. Still nice that it was a trout, but I seriously thought it was much bigger.
[signature]
I figured that had probably happened to most of us. I'm also lucky enough to have had it happen to me backwards.
I was fishing on the North Fork of the Clearwater (above Dworshak Res.). We go up there to catch west slopes in the 12-16 inch range all day. one 4th of july weekend we were camping up there and i hooked into a big fish on a kastmaster. I assumed it was just another big sucker like we catch up there sometimes so I proceded to horse it in, (I was using pretty heavy tackle for some reason). When I finally saw it all I saw was a gigantic open mouth and pectoral fins that looked like airplane wings with white leading edges. It ended up being a 25 inch bull trout. The first one I had ever seen. I fought him a little more gingerly once i discovered it wasn't a sucker!
[signature]
Wow, and I thought my 17" bull was nice!
[signature]
As big of pains as they are you still have to apritiate suckers chubs and other trash fisf. they can sure turn a boring day into a fun day in a real quick hurry. and when they get snagged they seem to fight harder and not be so lazy. I noticed that it happens alot with whitefish when you are using a big nymph with a little dropper the dropper tends to get them it you are a little slow with the hook set or the fish misses either way they are fun.
[signature]
That's a nice bull trout. I still need to catch one of those. Hopefully I'll make it up to bull trout country eventually.
[signature]