Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
XLDVee, Chick, LM, 4-9, John Hart
Got to HBSP around 5:15 and headed out in search of some fish. I am off in a BAD way right now on Chick. Can't seem to do anything right. Anyways...headed up river and made our first stop along some rock walls that the wind was beating pretty hard. I wasn't in the mood to fight the wind that hard, but I wanted to see what it was blowing up into those rocks. Made a pass with a spinnerbait, nothing. Another with a Trap, and hooked up right away. She was a CHUNKY ol girl and fought like a pissed off smallmouth. Was barely 17" long but she had some GIRTH! Not a monster fish, but a good first fish of the day. Hart tied on a Trap as well and we made a few more passes and boated 2 slicks before deciding to find something more protected. Went back down river to a shallow slough and fished a pattern of Traps on seawalls and flipping jigs as we came to the docks. Got a few nibbles on the jig, but no takers. I hooked up with a nice bass last week off a particular dock, and I just knew she was still going to be there....yea I know, I was wrong. Proceeded to lose 2 jigs under the same dock trying to hit this one tiny spot between some pylons and submerged chunks of concrete. After calling myself names, we picked the Traps back up and hooked up with 2 more keepers, both 15" on the nose. Then I went looking for some transitions between the wind blown points and protected back sides of the points. Stopped close to HBSP and ended up boating a quick 4 more keeper fish, all oozing with eggs. We seriously caught these last 4 within 8 or 9 casts. The bass were staging in the calmer pockets on the backside of the point. I would cast out into the choppier water and bring back into the pockets and BAM! Started getting dark so we headed back to HBSP and got her loaded up and headed home.<br /><br />Had a good time today in the 3 hrs we fished. The wind was a battle for the majority of the day, but got to spend some time with a good friend and we caught a few fish to boot!<br /><br />In all we boated 7 or 8 fish today, with all but 2 being keepers. Sorry, but no pics. Was too much work trying to keep the boat off the rocks in the wind! Nothing massive today, best 5 was approx 12.5lbs. But I was happy to catch a limit of fish! It's been a LONG time since that happened for me! Water temps were 57-59* in the areas I was in. All fish caught in less than 8 fow, and all on Traps. Colors chrome/blue and orange/green. Majority were on the chrome/blue. <br /><br />Hope to see ya'll out there sometime!!<br />emoAngler