Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Unconcious topwater crappies
I went up to visit fellow BFT member Tailgrabber and fish his lake with him last night. He told me he had been catching bass and crappies on a fly rod with a topwater plug (I really don't know fly terminology). Just for gits and shiggles, I brought a couple small topwater lures to try.

The rest was crazy. The attached pic is the first fish I caught on my first cast. From that point (5:30 pm) until dark, we drifted over several schools of crappies and caught them almost one right after the other, including a 13.75" and several over 12". I also caught 5 or 6 small largemouth bass and a couple of sunnies. I was just throwing a Lucky Craft Sammy (60 or 65 size) and a Lobina Rico and twitching it. Topwater in April, who'd figure?!?!?
[signature]
DANG!!!!!! Nice fish!
[signature]
Awsome I am heading for a similar trip this weekend and would like to use the fly rod. I will see what I might have like that.
[signature]
Here are a few more pics from the lake.[Image: crappie4.jpg][Image: crappie7.jpg][Image: crappie6.jpg][Image: crappie5.jpg][Image: crappie2.jpg][IMG]
[Image: crappie1.jpg]
[signature]
wow, that first pic is long.

nice fish.
[signature]
Nice crappie! There's a pond about a 1/4 mile from my apt with huge 1 to 2lb crappie but I can't get them to hit anything but live bait. Mostly minnows and sometimes they hit crickets but I've tried every color combination of jigs and cannot get them to hit anything other than live bait. Is that normal?
[signature]
those are some nice fish. where did you go for those?? and do you have pics of the fly you used. i would really like to try fishin for these. i know that there is a couple of places to fish for those about 2 hours south of me. so yeah i just need to go out and give it a try as soon as i do some more research.

[#ff0000]I have edited your post, this is open to all ages and we would appreciate our posters to not use any language not suitable for any age.[/#ff0000]
[#ff0000][/#ff0000]
[#ff0000]Idahopanfish your co-moderator[/#ff0000]
[signature]
I will take a pic of the fly and post it when I get a chance. If you would like send me a pm Of an address and I will send you a few. It's basically just a clouser minnow tied with a pearl krystal flash body and a blue/ green angel hair flash tied for the top half of the body. I tied them on a size 10 2x hook with 5/32 eyes. The other fly used was a solid white Foam popper with tinsel flash tail. That was tied on a size 2 big game hook. I tied the popper for striper and blue fish, I don't know what made me throw it but I did and it work. And currently still working. Just not as productive as it was a few weeks ago.
[signature]
Here are a few pics of the flies used. Both are ez ties.
[Image: fly1.jpg]
[Image: fly2.jpg]
[Image: fly3.jpg]
[signature]
Very cool[Wink]
This last weekend out here in Idaho the hot colors were red/white tube jig and fly wise were chartreus or white micro jig under a foam strike indicator.

I am planning on making up some jig flies with a lead under body and vvarious color combo's of what's been hot here. I like the Clouser style but I am hoping to come up with a bobber presentation that will hang horizontal.
[signature]
Tailgrabber, Do you tie those yourself?? If so very nice job! I would be willing to buy some from you...
[signature]

This clouser almost has that horizontal affect int the water if your using a floating line, it's fairly small and lite weight.
I tried getting my 2 1/2 yr old excited to fish by using the clouser with a bobber on his little pole. Worked for the fish but not on the kid.
Keep us posted on how you do, and I would like to see what you come up with for the presentation you are after.
[signature]
Yes I tie them don't worry about it. I will just send you a few. Let me know how you do with them.[quote bytebull]Tailgrabber, Do you tie those yourself?? If so very nice job! I would be willing to buy some from you...[/quote]
[signature]
[fishin]nice crappie
[signature]
Last summer some guy a few miles away caught a 5lb 6oz crappie on a top lure!! It was a new state record. It was big news in our 1 stop light town.
[signature]
Any pics of that hog?
[signature]

Tailgrabber sent me some of his ties and I used this one recently at a good crappie pond near my home and caught a stringer full of 1lb+ on it. I used 2lb test line leader about 6 foot long on 6lb line (on the reel) on a spincasting reel flipping them out about 6 feet from the bank and letting them sink for about 10 seconds...

If no strike I repeated the same. Was catching nice White Crappie about every 10 casts as I worked the bank.
[Image: fly2.jpg]
[signature]
that is a freaking TOAD!!
[signature]