Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
a little help plz ?
Well I finally it out for my first time.. I went up to the river east of Rockport.. I tried hares ears,pheasant tails, with no luck.. I notice little bugs floating under the water.. They were very small.. Like maybe midges ? They were dark in color with a split tail.. But thet were all dead..Any help here ? Also i was using a strike indicator. Orange with a toothpick to hold it in place and about the size of a dime.. Is this to big and do you think the fish might have been spooked by the color ? if so what kind of indicator should i use..
Thank you
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
i think your strike indicator could be getting in your way. i dont no why you would use on with drys? that confuses me

what you should do next time you hits this river. use a two fly combo. say put the top fly as alright size stimi then run about 5 to 7 inch's of leader below your stimi and put a nice small midge. now basic ly the stimi become's your indicator . and also counts as bait. you should find the cast will be a little easier cause theres less drag on the line in the air.
[signature]
I totally agree with the Dry Dropper. Stimulator/Sofa Pillow is also my choice. but on the dropper, I would start at 16" and maybe a small Prince or Copper John. Sounds kind of like what you are seeing. If they are really small, try a WD40. You can always shorten the dropper.

On the dropper, tie a piece of tippet to either the eye of the Stimi or to the bend of the hook. Off the hook bend might be easier for a beginner.
Then just watch the stimi and try to keep a natural drift.
[signature]
hey sis.. I have heard ya'll say this over and over again and tied it that way.. but my curiosity question is can or have fish ever hit the stimi instead of the dropper off of it and how successful is the angler bringing that fish to hand (since the dropper line is interfering to a point with the stimi hook)..

MacFly
[signature]
I have had many experiences where the fish has taken the stimi fly (BWO) and getting it to hand is all about keeping the pressure on it just like any other fish you have on.
[signature]
fishing4thehog wrote:[/quote]
Well I finally it out for my first time.. I went up to the river east of Rockport.. I tried hares ears,pheasant tails, with no luck.. I notice little bugs floating under the water.. They were very small.. Like maybe midges ? They were dark in color with a split tail.. But thet were all dead..Any help here ? Also i was using a strike indicator. Orange with a toothpick to hold it in place and about the size of a dime.. Is this to big and do you think the fish might have been spooked by the color ? if so what kind of indicator should i use..
Thank you[/quote]

those little bugs were actually the shucks of the BWO mayfly. What size pheasant tell were you using? a pheasant tail in a #18 or #20 should be a good fly this time of year. The most important thing is getting a good presentation. You can catch trout on almost any fly anytime of the year if you have a good presentation.

This is how a fish nymphs 90% of the time
1)cast across and upstream from where you are standing.
2)as the line drifts back down towards strip in some of the excess slack, that way if a fish strikes you can set the hook.
3) When the indicator gets parallel with you. make a small upstream mend to get all of you line above the indicator and flies
4) point you rod at the indicator and follow the drift down stream
5) at the end of your drift let the flies swing and hang for a second. A lot of fish will take it on the swing.

[inline untitled.JPG]

I did a quick little illustration to try to help visualize what i was describing. This method has always worked well for me and you can cover a lot of water this way.
[signature]
Thank you for your help.. Yes i was using a # 18 pheasant tail.. I am new to fly fishing so most of my presentations, Well lets just say not the best.. But I did manage to float a few fairly good.. I will try the drop style you mentioned..
Thanks..
[signature]
Pack it in
PACK IT OUT ! 
wasatchsurf, looks like you are fairly new here so welcome for sure.
And thank you soooooo much for the illistration. That helps allot.
Now I have a question for you. You mention #18 - #20 in PT, have you had the same success with same size Copper Johns? Or Bead Head Prince?
[signature]