Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Knots
What kind of knots does everyone like to use?

I use a nail knot for the backing to fly line. Albright knot for the fly to leader and a surgeon or albright for the tippet. Ive always used an improved clinch when tying on the flies.
How do you like to tie droppers?
Ive always just tied another improved clinch to the bend of the hook.
[signature]
[Wink]Hello and welcome to the site,

I use an Albright to connect backing to the reel,then a nail knot to connect flyline to the backing. To connect the leader to the flyline I use perfection loops. For flies to leader, I use an improved clinch knot or a surgeons loop.
For tippet it's a surgeons loop.[Smile]

pa
[fishin]
[signature]
When I have to, I use a nail knot from line to leader (with UV epoxy around the knot). In the past, I have always cut the loop on the line and leader to use the nail knot, but recently, I have fallen in love with the loop-to-loop connection. I have far fewer problems with catching in knot with my flies in the wind and I think that the epoxy was weighing down the tip of my line anyhow.

From leader to tippet, double surgeon's.

From tippet to fly, improved clinch.

From fly to dropper (or nymph to nymph), again I have changed this recently as well. I used to tie directly to the bend of the hook. I started with a new method after a recent visit to the San Juan below Navajo Dam. "Peggy", a popular guide there talked me into tying both tippets into the the eye of the lead fly using an improved clinch. Basically, just doubling up the tippets when tying on the first fly. It leaves the hook of the lead fly clear and removes any chance of the line from the dropper interfering with a hookup if the fish takes the lead fly. The knot is very strong, although it does increase the physical size of the knot on the first fly. I haven't found that to be a problem in the least. Fitting a 5x or 6x tippet (doubled up) does take a clean "clip" to get through the eye of #22 AND #24 hooks though.
[signature]
Line to leader-nail knot. Leader to tippet-blood knot. Tippet to fly-Improved clinch knot.
[signature]
I'm in Jims boat.[cool]

Humpy
[signature]
butt section to line - loop to loop (if the line has a welded loop. If not I needle knot the butt section on)

Butt to leader - Blood knot

leader to tippet - triple surgeons

fly to tippet - clinch or non-slip mono loop

droppers - triple surgeon tied off of top tag (if connecting to leader) or clinch knot to hook eye

FWIW, I always use a butt section. Even if the line comes with a welded loop. 14" or .022" maxima makes all the difference in the world in fly turnover when throwing dries, especially on big, windy rivers.
[signature]
Me, it is nail knot for BACKING to FLY LINE
then molded loop in end of fly line (either store bought or I make my own)
Albright Loop in mono leader, Shorb loop in Furled leaders and A Loop to Loop or hand shake connection for leader to line.
Surgeons knot to connect tippet to mono leader (clinch knot to attach tippet to small ring on furled leader)
To attach fly.......ALWAYS a surgeon's loop.

Droppers, ALWAYS a tag off the leader (attached with a surgeon's knot) in which the fly is attach with a Surgeon's Loop.
[signature]
I had a question on why you like to tie a loop to the fly. Ive been doing a lot of reading the last few days on fly patterns and basic techniques.
Anyways, I read that using a loop allows the fly more natural movements and actions. Is this why you like to use a loop?
[signature]
Absolutely, plus I can use heavier tippet on smaller flies. For example, I use 6X on my #30 and #32's, but the loop lets them move.

One thing however. I Keep the loop as small as I can. I feel a loop too big causes an un-natural water disturbance in front of the fly.

I am also a fanatic about fluorocarbon.
[signature]
I have not considered mono or fluorocarbon.
Im still trying to keep my dry flies from whipping off half the time [Smile].
[signature]
I guess I'm not much of a boy scout -- something about this thread made me laugh...

My knots? I use the following:

1. the "twisty" knot. You know, that one that you twist the line up, then feed the tag back trough the loop and pull it tight?

2. the "loop" knot. That's the one that ends up as a loop.

3. The "figure 8 knot". This one you do a couple over-hand knots then start to pull it tight until it forms a figure 8, then feed the hook through both loops in the 8 and pull it tight.

4. slip knot. That's how I attach my line to the real. (backing too).

I never did earn my Tenderfoot....but I did earn my fishing merit badge!
[signature]
LMAO.......your such a gurl![laugh]...and from the sounds of it, a BLONDE![shocked]
[signature]