Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry report 6-14-03
I took Jim (a neighbor -- largest fish ever caught 14 inches) and Gary (my nephew) fishing with me. I would have liked to have gone to Willard or perhaps Bear Lake, but I wanted to make sure that Jim caught lots of fish, so to play it safe we headed for Strawberry. We launched at Renegade, but before launching we hit the docks to catch some minnows. In about 20 minutes we had over 200 minnows (we weren't going to run out, and the plan was to get some minnows to one_eye_jack and polokid but I didn't see them) and the leftover minnows are now helping my rose bush grow. Caught about 35 fish, largest just over 20 inches. Hot tickets were trolling with a plain crawler (no attractor) on the downrigger down 17 feet, long-lining a gold with red dots Jake's lure, and trolling with a whole minnow (no attractor) on leaded line out about five colors. Not a bad day for it being a full moon the night before.
[signature]
Hey kentofnsl,

Were you just trolling around in the renegade bay? Or did you head out past the little island? I'm not familiar with leaded line, how far down will 5 colors take the bait? Thanks.
[signature]
Great report Kent, are fresh minnows better to use than minnows that have been frozen? One thing about catching trout you don't have to worry about getting stuck in your hands with their spines, my hand still hurts today. How did the boat run today, did your idea of priming both motors at the start of the day work? WH2
[signature]
Nice report kentofnsl . I watched Doug Miller outdoors last night and they said a 10 pound bow was caught last week . I wonder if that was my fish . LOL . Maybe I shouldn't wait for the ice to come back on .
[signature]
me and polo kid were out there in the afternnon, we were out in my raft. we stopped by renegade to catch some minnows also, except we caught about 200 in 4 throws. ot too bad, but those were the only fish we caught all day, we were just drifting with the current in the raft and dead drifting the minnows behind us.
[signature]
I don't know how far down so many colors take my lure. It depends upon boat speed and what is on the leaded line. I merely find out how many colors seems to work at the moment and repeat it. We fished all around the Renegade Bay area except that we didn't make it up Indian Creek. The best fishing seemed to be just outside of the bay on the west just north of Indian Creek. Right in the Renegade Bay was also quite good, as it often is. I prefer fresh minnows when I can get them because they free, are firmer and probably a little more fresh than thawed frozen minnows.
[signature]
Sorry I wasnt able to meet up with you. I tried Dannzilla house to see if he had your cell #, or something to contact you. One_eyed_jack had last minute change in plans and headed up to Willard instead. Hopefully he will post how he did. BUt got some minnows and had a good time fishin with fishboy!!!
[signature]
At times just drifting those minnows can be effective. When they aren't hitting them drift trolling, especially as calm as it was on Saturday, you might try casting them, letting them sink to the bottom, and reeling them in a little faster. Those cutthroats often are motivated to strike if the minnow is quickly moving through the water -- perhaps they think it is trying to get away.
[signature]
If you want relative solitude try fishing Strawberry. I couldn't believe it when I saw that the parking area wasn't even full at Renegade on Saturday. Those new regulations are going to impact the fishing at Strawberry perhaps more than was even intended. I doubt that they expected the regulations to scare so many people away from even fishing up there. I'm sure Strawberry Marina is feeling the impact, and I hope there aren't a bunch of people that don't even purchase a license (the DWR needs the money) because of the regulation change.
[signature]
Sorry I did not make it up there this weekend. I had a brake problem and though it would be best to not try to tow anything up parleys, so instead a friend offered to tow my boat up to Willard. I posted my report Willard 6-14. I am hopping next weekend or sometime after work this week to go up there though.
[signature]
Sorry, forgot to answer your question about priming both outboards at the start of the day. Yes, I tried priming them both before launching the boat, and it worked like a charm. After getting out on the reservoir with the main outboard and still fishing for awhile I turned the valve to the trolling motor, pulled the cord and away we went. I'm impressed that it only took me 1/2 of a year using the boat to figure this one out, usually it takes longer, or I never figure it out at all!
[signature]
I'm glad to here that the great Strawberry depression is fading.
[signature]