Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Free Fishing Day @Jordanelle
[#000080][size 2]It was a beautiful day at Jordanelle. 45 degrees at 6am(brrr), water temp was a nice 60 degrees at the boat ramp. Tried a little topwater by the road beds, nada. then went down to where the main lake and the Provo arm points out. On my second cast a 5lb 4oz beautiful bronzeback got weighted, kissed, and its picture taken. It was about 4 inches longer than my 18 1/2" golden ruler. I saw enough bass boats to have a major tournment. I also saw a great many power trollers trying to entice some troutski's(this is what happens when trout are caught on bass tackle. a trout skiing on long the surface). But, the COOL thing I saw was the all the people at the mouth of the Provo river. Fisherpeople were line up along the bank with their bobber/bait setups, a very neat sight watching those take advantage of free fishing day. Lots of float tubers, canoers, and other water craft. None of this effected the bass folks, we were either too far off shore or away from the foot tracfic. Air temps at 3:30pm 85 degrees. Water warmed to 64. Ya ever see a perchski... [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
caught a walleyeski at willard this week

aquaman
[signature]
Sounds like a nice fish , Tomegun . Post the pic when you get it . Where I was free fish day didn't bother me at all . In fact it seemed to be fewer people at Pineview than the week before . Lots of boats on the water , had to dodge the water skiers in my float tube . After fishing lately I have notice I have been hooking up more with the boat waves come into the weeds . Seems like the fish go on the feed as the waves move the baitfish out of cover from the 2 ' foot swells I had to put up with . I could not believe I had to wear a sweater saturday morning at Newton Res. Once I get tired of chasing the muskies I'm planning on hitting jordanelle hard till fall .
[signature]
What kind of lure/bait were you using with the smallies? We were up there on Thursday, but all we could coax to the boat were the smaller bass. Do you find the bigger fish to be in the main body/north arm of the lake, versus the east arm? Were you working the edges, or do you find the bass in the middle? Thanks, and good luck next time you head out.
[signature]
tome,

Congratulations!!!!!! Good on ya!!! Hope you realize that if it was the length you describe it was very close to the catch and release record. That's a great place to fish, isn't it?

[crazy]Leaky
[#000080][size 2]We usually get better fish in the northern end of the lake. I was using a 6" senko, no weight, rigged weedless(texas style). It is about my fifth best fish at Jordanelle. I've heard rumors of 7 pounders last year, yet the biggest I know of was a couple of 6lbs 8ozers by two of my freinds. I believe the record is listed at 23 1/2", but thats been beaten many times(at least twice in my boats) . [/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2][/size][/#000080]

[#000080][size 2]Leaky, I consider Jordanelle my home. Of Course, I beleive that Strawberry is Heaven(we need a ton of smallies there). [/size][/#000080]
[signature]
Tome,

I'm jealous! I'll keep plugging away in my tube. I most always fish the North West side.

[Smile][crazy]Leaky
Tome,

Just curious, thought my memory was failing (probably so, even though). Just looked up the current catch and release for smallys on the DWR web site. It's listed at 21 1/2 in at Jordanelle in Aug, 2002.

[crazy]Leaky