Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Few Thoughts...
The pond has been filled up quite a ways. The pier actually floats again, like its supposed to. I couldn't see the banks anymore, and most of the rocks in the northeastern corner have been submerged again. I went fishing today, and I got one good hit, but no commitment. Stood out in the rain HOPING I'd get something, but nothing. Threw several worms, cranks, even a chartreuse buzzbait, but still, nothing. Which brings me to a few things...
[ol][li]I'm fishing a shaky head jig with a Zoom watermelon seed speed worm on it. When I cast out to the farther corners of the pond, should I keep the line taut and wait for a hit, or leave it a little slack between twitches and wait for a fish to take the worm, and when the line goes taut set the hook?[/li][li]I've been fishing Zoom plastics, and Berkley Power Worms, but I see a LOT of talk on here about senkos and Yamamoto lures. What are the differences between what I use, the senkos, etc..., and are there better choices on plastics that what I am currently using?[/li][/ol]A while back I was thinking about the whole new reel situation, and I've been thinking about it more lately. I think I'm probably going to end up getting the $40 Abu Garcia Cardinal 104 at wal mart. I rarely fish the river, even though I will this summer for sure, but I think it will work for me great. My primary fishing water is a pond that has at most MAYBE 2lb. bass right now, I'm hoping they get bigger. I care for my equipment, its always put away at the end of the day, and I think i'll get just as much use out of it as you guys get out of your $150 reels. I just don't think that right now I can spare $130 on a reel when I can get one that will fit my needs perfectly for $40. When I have a career and have the extra money, and also the experience bass fishing, and I'm gonna get a lot of action, I am definitely going to spend the money and go for REALLY good gear. I'm going to put it on my 7' Berkley Lightning rod and attack the waters.

Those are my thoughts...for now. I'll probably have more to add a little later in the thread.
[signature]
Yamamoto's sencos have a different plastic that allows the worm to flex up and down when used. This is the action that attracks fish. Maniac lures makes them with a tougher plastic that lasts longer, but does the same job. He's a member here. When I work the bottom I leave some slack in the line between twitches, but not much. The bite is so soft this time of year, I'm looking for the line to walk away then set the hook. It all boils down to what baits you have confidence in and work for you.
[signature]
That's what I was thinking would be best yesterday, letting the line walk before I set the hook, but I wasn't sure. I'm gonna have to go look for some sencos today.
[signature]