Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wipers on a fly rod
I am going out to willard in the next few days to try out fishing for the wipers. I dont know if any of you have done this before but if so I could use some of your advise. I have a genral idea of what bugs i am going to throw but could use so specifics on this. Being a rookie to this I could also use a spot or two to try that would best fit this style of fishing. I have a belly boat and maybe try from the shore if possible? Thanks for any advice
[signature]
I have been fishing wipers at Willard for about 6 years and only use a fly rod. There are days when you can outcatch guys trolling and throwing whatever 10:1. My best advice to you is any white streamer 1 1/2" to 2" long with sinking line. you can absolutely destroy wipers from a boat with a trolling motor casting into the bank and stripping back to you. From shore can be good. On Sunday, and yesterday I went out and caught 5-7 each day from shore. The clearer the water the better, and remember to strip fairly fast. Don't sit in one place for too long. Move around trying to find them. Once you do. There are more there, is generally what I have found. These are fish are every where, they move around alot. You can destroy them in one place one day. and not touch one the next in the same place. Right now is the time to fish for them. They are close to the banks which makes them easier to find. Have fun. There is no other freshwater lake fish I would rather catch!
[signature]
And take heavier gear. Like 0X tippet
[signature]
Thank you im going to take my steel head gear ( 8wt rod maxium 12lb leader ) Thanks again for the advice and i will post on any fish i catch
[signature]
When ive gone out i have just used 8lb leader.. With some sinking line from shore you can read some of my post with some pics in the main forum..
[signature]
In most cases, a 0X is 9lb and tippet its smaller diameter, so I am sure your 8 lb is close.
[signature]