Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Need info on fishing moon lake?
[cool]Guys I'm going to moon lake on the 26th thru the 29th and I'm getting this post out early enough,so some of you can post,I would like to target the splake but will take any info you can give on lures that work,LOL.where on the lake you think is best to fish,I will be taking my boat up,The lodge said the water is really high and is expecting the lake to be full by the time we get there.I have looked over a arieal photo of the lake and know what it looks like so give details on where to fish,I should be able to find the spot.

Thanks for any info.

TIGHT LINES

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Moon Lake- it is my favorite place, My parents met there 48 yrs ago!!!

The best place to catch fish is at the inlet on upper part of the lake, You will need your boat to get there!!! nymphs and woolly buggers!!! also night crawlers.Half way between the lodge and the inlet is a bunch of rock piles, the larger fish, and splake like to hang out in those rock piles, trolling past those areas have always proved successful. There is a bay just left of the lodge, also a great place to catch splake and rainbows and browns. Fishing the dam either trolling or bottom fishing with worms and salmon eggs!!! and the absolute best place to fish at moon lake is to take the short hike to the spillway holding pond. If the spill way is running, you might get bored catching fish!!! Lures to keep in mind, silver and gold jakes lures, cast masters and red and silver super duppers. If the turbine jets are running throwing a worm or salmon eggs in the eddys next to the jets, they are always a good time there!!!! The guys that run the lodge are always helpful and willing to assist in helping the fellow fisherman. Just in case, in the deep lurches of the moon are some macks, but I have never heard of anyone hookiing one, sounds like a job for BLM!!!! any other questions please feel free to PM me!!!
[signature]
I spent the weekend after Memorial Day at Moon Lake. The lake had a lot of floating limbs and bark from runoff. I was primarily trying for Kokanee, however We caught a lot of small rainbow and splake. Most of the trout were in the 13 inch range the kokes were in the 8" to 10" range. My kids caught a lot of trout near the inlets using mepps spinners or night crawlers under a slip[ bobber. The kokes were caught about 30 to 40 feet deep with wedding rings or kokanee killers. The lake was about 6' from full when we left and had been rising 12 to 18 inches per day

good luck FDG
[signature]
Thanks for the great info.

polokid,Have you been up there lately.

Fish-Dog,will I have any trouble launching a 17' boat,and you must have down riggers for the koke fish'in?are there any big fish in there and how could I target them.do the standard small pop gear and wedding rings work for the trout,I dont have down riggers,so would jigging work on the splake?I have some great idea's from you guys,keep'em coming.

I LOVE THIS SITE[Wink]

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
I havent been up to moon lake in a year, but from what I understand when a splake reaches 18-22 inches in the lake they become a predatory fish, eating every little minnow in sight!!! So I would think that jig with some flash to them would do the trick. The largest splake I have caught out of Moon Lake was 2 years ago and it was 19 in. So I would imagine there are some big boys in there now!!! Never caught a kokanee out of there, but would love some info from our kokanees killers on how to fish for them. If I get my boat working I am hoping to get it on the moon soon. Launching just below the lodge is probably the best bet, But can be tricky because it doesnt drop much for about 25 yrds, but I have launched my 19 ft tri haul many times on there with minimal probs. good luck and tight lines
[signature]
You can launch a light 17' boat. I have an old 16' Lone Star aluminum boat. The only problem launching that I had was I had to drive into the lake a ways because the beach is fairly flat. It is not an improved ramp. the beach is very sandy and I had to use 4 wheel drive when in the sandy area.

The kokes were between 30 and 40 feet deep. They may be deeper now. You might get down to them using 1 oz bananna weights, however downriggers are a lot easier to get to proper depth.

I don't like and don't use pop gear. I used a 00 hammered crome dodger about 18" in front of a wedding ring or kokanee killer.

I didn't catch anything larger than 14". I caught small rainbow, splake and Kokanee on the same rig. The manager of the lodge told me that the fish and game had been doing netting studies and had caught a 10 lb splake

FDG
[signature]
[Smile]Thought I would bring this back to the top for one more go around,If any one can help me target the splake in moon lake I would apprecaite any info given.

Thanks Again,

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Fishinfool,

If you want to catch big splake at Moon Lake fish the west side from the dam to the campground. Fish up on the flat and stay to 40 feet or less. A graph would help. I like to use gold Crocodile spoons and black jigs. The trick is to tip the lure with a small piece of sucker meat. Drift with the wind and jig. Keep your lure just off the bottom. Sometimes you find them suspended, but if you don't have a graph, stay within 1 foot of the bottom. Later.

Good Fishing, Kayote

Splake

[Image: l42346.jpg]

Mountain Whitefish

[Image: l42347.jpg]

Kokanee

[Image: l42344.jpg]

Another Big Splake

[Image: l42345.jpg]
[signature]
Can I buy sucker meat ?

Them are some nice fish thanks for the info!

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
Sportsman's Warehouse has sucker meat, and perhaps Hook's also has it.
[signature]
Hey Kayote, don't tell me you caught those splake at Moon lake? It almost looks like Fish lake in the back ground, nice fish. WH2
[signature]
Nice fish Kayote. THat is definitely Moon Lake, now you have peaked my interests for the 4th of July weekend!!!
[signature]
Heh, heh, heh. Those are Moon Lake Splake boys. Nice, eh?. Almost look like little macs.

Good Splake Fishing, Kayote

[Image: l42426.jpg]
[signature]
Wow, that first one could be a new catch an release state record or did you eat it? The state record C&R was caught at Moon lake and is only 16 inches long, how long was that first fish? WH2
[signature]
As you can tell by my death grip on it's gills and the fading color that this old boy went to that great raceway in the sky. I didn't get a weight or length. Care to make a guess as to weight?.

[signature]
I'm sure you must have a good guess on the lenght and weight even if you did not check it. I would guess it was close to 10 lbs and around 30 inches, say 27,28 inches or is that close up picture you took fooling me. WH2
[signature]
No tricks in the picture, that's just how long my arm is LMAO. I'm no good at guessing length, but it's around 9 pounds. Caught a 6 plus the same day.

[signature]