Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Yellowstone
[cool]Taking the family up this at the end of july. Any good spots for the kids and myself and suggestions on what to use? Working on planning so that If I need to purchase gear I can. I am thinking the upper Gibbon near Norris and Virginia Meadows and the Yellowstone just north of Yellowstone lake. Other areas will be considered. Just don't know where to go. Thanks for the help![fishin]
[signature]
If your kids are younger, I used to take mine to the yellowstone in the area you described. However instead of a fly rod,(can be dificult for younsters exspecially in crowded conditions) I would use a elk hair caddis fly (deadly in july on the yellowstone) and a 3/4 full bubble on a spin cast pole. Cast it out across the currant and hold on. My kids use to catch fish 2or3-1 over the fly rodders. Which tended to irritate some of them. But my kids loved it. And it kept them from tangling everyone up, as it gets pretty crowded in july. Hope this helps. Good luck
[signature]
Thanks I will give it a try. I was thinking of taking spoons, spinners, and flies ( woolly bugger, leech, and royal wulff,) now I will add another fly to the mix. I want to hit at least four or five different areas so as to give a good mix and a good chance of catching a fish.[cool]
[signature]
Consider renting a boat and going out on the lake. I have never done this, but I have fished from the shore. It can be fun fishing as well. I personally would not necessarily view Yellowstone fishing the most kid friendly. Most of the fish are well educated and presentation is a high priority. It sure is a fun place to fish though! Good luck, and most importantly, don't forget a camera. You never know what you'll see there.
[signature]
I have fished Yellowstone for years. For bank fishing on the lake, head over to Bridge Bay and Grant Village areas. Lots of sandy points to cast off of. You can usually see the Cutts cruising by. There are some trails that go down lakeside a little ways up lake that are less visited by the crowds. Try Jakes Spin-a-Lures in brass & silver, Panther Martin lures in yellow/red spots, brass/red slash, & all black. Never fails...
[signature]
I 've gone at least once a year on a week long canoe trip on the big lake sometimes twice a year to fish the park. For the last wow.....14 years almost.

The big lake is the easiest place to catch fish IMO. Especialy if you have kids with you. 95% of the cutts in the lake are within 100ft of shore which is where just about all the food in the lake is. So dont look for deep water close to shore because it wont matter.

#1 lure is the jakes in gold. Seriously if it was me I wouldnt even buy anything else im not kidding. With 100% confidence I would plan a whole week long trip on the lake with nothing but jakes cast a lures in gold. Ive caught a handful of fish on the lake with other lures but nothing even compares

The inlets should be open and a good place to start any of the multiple streams or rivers would be a good bet. One productive spot is Bridge bay. Park right near the visitor center and walk down to the inlet 300ft or so. Unless you boat to get out half a mile south of it. Stay away from sedge bay.Have fished it most years with very limited success. Pumice point is good too. Theres a little parking spot you can sneak into right off the road on the east side. They used to launch boats from there but they had 2 people die trying to cross the lake there and they closed the ramp and "discourage" crossings from this point. However the parking lot remains.

Heres a few we caught.
[signature]
Nice report and pictures
[signature]
Thanks for the info. It is going to help us out a lot this year. I will try many lures so as to fine the right one. Looks like I need to make a trip to Sportsmans![cool]
[signature]
Remember no lead in the park . Some spinners have lead bodys . Like Panther Martins and Rooster Tails . Curt G.
[signature]
Not sure if you are interested in fishing outside the park, but the Madison is excellent fishing as well. I also like to hit Henry's fork in Idaho. Cliff and Wade lakes are also good spots in Montana.
Good Luck!
[signature]
Yellowstone is awesome fishery. Rapala's are awesome there on the rivers just remember only one hook and barbless. Just remember that the firehole and The Gibbon below the falls on the gibbon is flyfishing only. You can fish the tributes to them with spinners. Don't be surpised if flyfishermen start yelling at you. They are some of the ruddest. Just ignore them and fish. I worked up there for a summer. I got yelled at 2 to 3 times a day. Have fun Pineviewfisher
[signature]