Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
hiking with a tube
here is a question for those who would like to fish a lake in their tubes but it is either way out in the boon docks, or the water levels are way down and it is a mile to the water, how is the most productive way to carry or pack a tube a long distance. thanks in advance.
[signature]
deflated and carry a double action pump just put it all in a day pack...mine fits into a backpack

although, some types of float tubes are a pain to inflate like my Kenebec.
[signature]
i dont know if i like that idea too much, the reason i say this is becuase i like to be fishing instead of filling air chabers up, if you get my drift.
[signature]
double action pumps up my float tube in about 2 to 3 minutes...less with some other tubes.
[signature]
TD and I carry our fat cats in the car partially inflated. We each have pumps to finish them off when we reach our final destination. The one I have is very light and fills the chambers in just minutes ... no problem!
[signature]
[cool]I carry a tube one of two ways. I either balance it on my head, which I have done for some pretty lengthy hikes. Or, you can rig straps to fasten to the D-rings...or wrap around the tube...and carry on your back, like a backpack. Here's a pic of me down in Mexico, bringing my gear up from a walk down to the water. I wish I had a dollar for every mile I have trudged a tube on my head.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0424293.jpg]

If you are only going a mile or so, it is usually not too bad, unless you have to do some serious climbing or work through trees and brush. Down here in Arizona we also have to watch out for spiny plants and cactus. TubeBabe once had a "deflating experience" because of some unseen cholla cactus spines. She sat her tube down in the water when we got there and was unhappy to hear and see several streams of bubbles coming up from around her donut.

If you are carrying the Browning, that is a heavier tube than most people would like to take packing, but you are young and tough. Since it has the big truck tire tube, you have to inflate it with a tire pump...which is more weight to carry, if you pack your tube deflated. The newer craft, with the Boston valves and vinyl or urethane bladders are lighter and easier to inflate quickly with the high volume air pumps.

If you are planning to do some serious pack-in fishing to the remote lakes in the Uintas, you should save your aluminum cans for a smaller lighter craft that you can put in a backpack. Your fins are also the older and heavier kind, so you have a lot of weight to carry just to chase some little troutskis around on those backcountry lakes. But then, nobody ever accuses us float tubers of being totally rational anyway.

If you want a diagram or suggestions on how to rig your inflated tube up as a backpack, send me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

TubeDude
[signature]
that ws me TD, the last post that is a guest, was me.
[signature]
fishboy,

ur totally right man, life doesnt get any better than this!!!![cool]

Aaron

Big and Small kill em all![pirate]
[signature]
I just spent the week hiking into some boulder mtn. lakes and it was horrible packing in the tubing gear plus camping equipment. My tube was made for hiking and comes with some straps that I wrap into the pack frame. It works great and about 10 breaths and I'm ready to launch.

Tubes are perfect for some of those bigger 3 plus acre ponds in the high country. The best way is to trade of with some of your hiking buddies. That way you all get to tube certain lakes and the weight issue isn't going to kill you. Most of the weight with tubing is in the boots and fins. I use breathable waders and sweats because the neoprene is to heavy for packing plus if you get ready before you can hike in breathables.
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Bro. Good input. How's the shoulder doing? Hope you are being more careful about those trenches.

In my book on tubing I make a lot of suggestions about backpacking with a tube. The first is what you brought up...take a light tube. The same applies to waders and fins. RedBall used to make an ultralight wader that folded up small and weighed very little. You can't find really good lightweights now. The breathables all weigh more and most of them let you get some moisture. And, since you have to take some sweats for the cool nights anyway, use them for warmth. The chill waters right after ice out will have you going to the bank to warm up a few times, but neoprenes are bulky and heavier than you want to carry.

Fins can be heavy, but since you are not kicking great distances on the small lakes, you don't need the biggest and most powerful fins. Buy the lightest (but serviceable) you can find.

The last thing is to have a proper pack frame if you are going long distances. It's okay to carry an inflated tube on your head for a ways, but if you are taking a serious hike, you need proper pack gear and a balanced load. Every pound on your back takes a toll as you trudge up the trail, so the better you arrange your load the better you will survive until the next trip.

There are many little lakes that have feeding areas way offshore, that you can't reach even with a long cast with a bubble and fly. It is so much better to kick out there with a tube and to be able to fling a fly right in the fishies' faces making only short, controlled casts.

The really good thing about backpacking is that the trip out is usually easier than the trip in...if you are going downhill. Just be careful that you make controlled steps and don't let the extra weight of the tube overwork your legs and joints. Injuries result from fatigue and overuse. And, the human body was not designed for efficient downhill travel.

TubeDude
[signature]
[cool]Hey, Guest/FB2. I will try to put together a diagram and explanation later today. Since we can put attachments on our posts on this forum, I will post it here for anyone else who might want it.

If you want to experiment on your own, go get some nylon strapping (building supply or military surplus). Rope will work, but it cuts into you more. Rig it up with a loop on each side, so that the back of your tube rests against your back...and you can slip an arm through each loop. Adjust the length until the tube rests like a backpack, with the straps comfortable on each shoulder. Add some padding under the strap if you need it.

When you get the tube properly set up for carrying this way, then you can stuff your fins and waders in the seat area of the tube, pull the apron over them and hold them in with a couple of bungee cords or some nylon rope. This will work okay for a short day hike, but you need to rethink it with a quality backpack system if you are planning an overnighter.

Again, with the size and weight of that Browning, I hope you don't plan to hike too far. We'd hate to have to send the recue chopper in after you.

TubeDude
[signature]
hye fish boy,

i have back packed my tube into alot of uinta lakes over the years. smaller is better of course. if your only hiking a mile or so they sell those straps for certain tubes that will attach and you just wear it like a back pack so to speak. i dont know how big you tube is, my packable one is a donut style and i just blow it up by mouth once i get there. i deflate it and stuff it into my large backpack or strap it to the outside. ive packed it in over 50 miles on a few trips. i bet those lakes have never seen the likes of that before haha. let me know if you need any other ideas.
[signature]
well blowing it up by mouth is out of the question, i use a truck tire, which i think makes it a lot heavier. i think i will just get some straps and see how the works. thanks for all the input guys.
[signature]
I'm doing good Tubedude. Thanks for asking. I definetly agree that the hike out was 10 times better. Those breathables do leak but I guess if you use them in hot weather they work great. If your going to be fishing during ice out then wear a extra pair of sweats. It might be a little bulky when your fishing but definetly worth it when your warm and catching those big fish. Buy a pair of fins that you don't have to use boots with that will save you a couple of pounds.

I usually set up a base camp then pack the tube were ever I want to go from there.

Hey are the breathables suppose to have a slow leak or is this normal for cold water. I'm about to take them back for another pair.

I use a 450 dollar Kelte which makes that 65 pound pack feel like 30. Except when the trail is straight up for 3 miles. I had to do it atleast once just for the experience but not again.
[signature]
[cool]You make a good case for being properly outfitted if you plan to do some serious hiking. I used to spend several weeks a year in the high Sierras in California...or the Wind Rivers, in Wyoming...or the Selway in Idaho. You get the picture. I learned a long time ago that buying good equipment doesn't cost...it pays.

The issue of waders is one I thought would be good to start a different thread on. It is important and I would like to get the input from some others. Watch closely and it will appear.

TubeDude
[signature]