Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Senko Success!
I finally got around to getting some Yamamoto Senkos. I wacky rigged one tonight, and within 5 minutes got a fish. Another pounder, and no more after him, but it was encouraging.
[signature]
Another tool for your box. [Wink] Thats why alot of us have more than one rod, so we can switch to a worm after we get a hit on a spinnerbait or any search bait.
[signature]
So you find the fish with the spinners and search baits, and then switch to a worm to catch em?
[signature]
When I work a frog over Lily Pads or weed and one jumps for it but misses. I'll throw it back. If it doesn't take it the second time, I'll follow up with a senco and will get a hit 25% of the time. With spinners or cranks you can slow them down to get a hookup. If not, throw the worm.[Wink]
[signature]
Texas rig a 4" with a 1/0 extra wide gap hook and a 5" with a 3/0. You'll be surprised at what happens.

[signature]
And dont be afraid to throw bigger worms too. I am some 7 inch senko's and a few 10 inchs worms too. When I switched to these the fish got bigger too.
[signature]
Well, i got one that day...and nothin since. I could feel em hitting the pier below me, but they wouldn't take anything i dropped. I dropped senkos, shaky heads with different worms, cranks, but NO success.

My girlfriend's dad did ultimately catch a nice catfish on cheese though...
[signature]
are you fishing from shore
[signature]
Yep. well, from the pier connected to the shore.

Again, a day of nothing. But I'm getting real good at casting.
[signature]
buy a float tube
theyre not very expensive
and then you'll be able to go out and find the fish
[signature]
[quote Simp]Yep. well, from the pier connected to the shore.

Again, a day of nothing. But I'm getting real good at casting.[/quote]

Simp, If you are fishing off the pier be sure to walk softly when you walk out on the pier, don't just stomp your way out to the end, believe it or not bass can detect you up to 20 feet away or more from the bank when you walk heavy along the bank.

I use super stealth when walking around the ponds I fish. If I am going to move to another spot 50 yards down the bank I will even walk about 20 or 30 feet back away from the pond then move to the new spot and creep up slowly to the bank being as quiet as possible.

You will amazed how man more bass you will catch in a small pond if you keep quiet. Also wear neutral colored clothing like, light green, beige, brown, etc. And try not to let your shadow cast over on the water on sunny days.

Hope these pond bass fishing tips help!
[signature]
Also Simp try this ...

Next time BEFORE you go out on the pier creep up slowly to a spot about 20 feet away from the pier and cast to the pier or under it from the bank that far away. Starting near the bank and working your way out to the end.

Then walk away from the pond about 20 feet and move to a spot 20 feet away on the other side of the pier and repeat. You might get a nice surprise!
[signature]
Well, I tried casting about 20 yards from the pier, but the vegetation is too thick, so i crept down the bridge onto the pier and dropped a lure in beside it. About this time here comes one of the dogs bounding down the bridge. I'm Whispering "No! go back!", and the dog gets lower and keeps coming. she gets to my feet and lays down. I pick up the full grown lab, and in anger turned her around and pushed her away, confident she just blew my stealth. I picked my rod up and to my surprise I had a fish on the line. I pulled it out, it was maybe about 10oz. It swallowed the hook halfway, and it thrashed so hard it got the knot out and almost jumped off the deck and back into the water. But I got it, and threw it back in...I'm still wanting to catch bigger fish, but i don't think it's going to happen in this pond.
[signature]
[quote bytebull][quote Simp]Yep. well, from the pier connected to the shore.

Again, a day of nothing. But I'm getting real good at casting.[/quote]

Simp, If you are fishing off the pier be sure to walk softly when you walk out on the pier, don't just stomp your way out to the end, believe it or not bass can detect you up to 20 feet away or more from the bank when you walk heavy along the bank.

I use super stealth when walking around the ponds I fish. If I am going to move to another spot 50 yards down the bank I will even walk about 20 or 30 feet back away from the pond then move to the new spot and creep up slowly to the bank being as quiet as possible.

You will amazed how man more bass you will catch in a small pond if you keep quiet. Also wear neutral colored clothing like, light green, beige, brown, etc. And try not to let your shadow cast over on the water on sunny days.

Hope these pond bass fishing tips help![/quote] You're absolutely right, sir. I've read a lot about this, and even today I HATE driving my golf cart to the honey hole down on the course. I prefer walking, and I've picked up wearing a back pack with Plano storage boxes in it rather than toting a tackel box around. It helps!
[signature]
[quote Simp]Well, I tried casting about 20 yards from the pier, but the vegetation is too thick, so i crept down the bridge onto the pier and dropped a lure in beside it. About this time here comes one of the dogs bounding down the bridge. I'm Whispering "No! go back!", and the dog gets lower and keeps coming. she gets to my feet and lays down. I pick up the full grown lab, and in anger turned her around and pushed her away, confident she just blew my stealth. I picked my rod up and to my surprise I had a fish on the line. I pulled it out, it was maybe about 10oz. It swallowed the hook halfway, and it thrashed so hard it got the knot out and almost jumped off the deck and back into the water. But I got it, and threw it back in...I'm still wanting to catch bigger fish, but i don't think it's going to happen in this pond.[/quote]

Simp if there is to much vegetation to use lures that submerge try some of your weedless topwater lures like a buzzbait or floating frog.

You could probably even use a large plastic worm rigged weedless with a very small bullet weight ( 1/8oz) and get some strikes. Might try this method early morning ( 15 minutes before sunrise til about 30 minutes after) or Late evening (30 minutes before sunset until about 20 minutes after sunset) and get some good strikes.
[signature]
I agree as well, drag something on top of the vegitation. I like Lizards for that or a frog. Some days it works for ever.
[signature]
No, i mean the vegetation on the bank. I have to cast over it to get to the water.
[signature]
Simp is that the pond in your avatar? If so it looks big enough for a small 8ft or 10ft john boat, I think that might be your solution right there. If you get one (or have one) keep it a good distance from the pier so when you put it in the water you don't spook the bass there.

Even if its a small pond a boat makes a huge difference if you just use a paddle and don't disturb the water to much, just paddle to the middle of it and drop anchor and fish every bank from right there.

Or get a motor powered heavy weedeater machine and a handsaw and wack down a few spots around the pond so you have clear areas to bank fish from. I know that sounds like a little work but once you get that done you will be glad you have those options on the bank to fish from other than just your peir.
[signature]
[quote Simp]No, i mean the vegetation on the bank. I have to cast over it to get to the water.[/quote]

Also I might add, I have one pond here I fish that has cypruss trees every two feet around the whole pond with limbs that hang out over the water almost 10 feet only about 2 to 5 feet above the water.

I took a small aspirin bottle and filled it with dirt then super glued the top on and tied it to my line and practiced putting my rod down between the trees and side casting that bottle hard in a side cast under the tree branches. It took me almost a month and many hours a day until I could finally cast 20 or 30 feet even at that hard side cast without hitting the branches.

But now I can cast almost any lure at that pond under those branches and catch nice bass there everytime I go. The moral of the story? Sometimes you have to think of ways to get to the fish and then practice that presentation until you perfect it. It can tedious and frustrating but worth the reward once you perfect it.
[signature]