Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
260 mercruiser brass freeze plug replacement
having problems putting the freeze plugs back in the motor and I remember going through this last year, what a pain. Is there a replacement I can use that has a valve on it maybe plastic? The threads on the holes are all but gone and I tried to tap last year. I want to fix it for good this time, any advice?
[signature]
try and tap it/ run some new threads, make sure you use a brass bolt. Maybe you could get a bolt that is a little bigger and try that, thread it .
[signature]
When you say "freeze plug" are you referring to the little plugs you remove to drain the water out of the block & manifolds. If those are what you are referring to, the best solution would be to install 100%BRASS drain petcocks. I had to tap the threads out on my old '68 OMC stern drive engine and then install the petcock with a little JB weld around the threads just to be sure it held.

Don't get those cheesey radiator drain petcocks you can buy at auto parts stores. The handle strips out after just a couple uses. Go to a plumbing supply & get the brass plug valve style. Put a little grease in them to keep the plug turning free in the valve body and you're set.
[signature]