Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Snakeriver Smallmouth Report-With Pics
I have wanted to fish the snakeriver for smallmouth bass for a long time. I keep looking for someone to take me but to no avail. Finally I talked a co-worker into showing me the ropes but the plan fell through at the last minute.

Steelfisher and I decided to take another one of our neighbors and try it anyway. With a hand drawn map and sleepless nights studying the habits of early season smallies we went for it.

When we arrived at 9:00AM we were disappointed to find that the air and water temperature were really cold. The water was 39 degrees. I tried to put on a confident face but I was certainly skeptical about our ability given the conditions.

We launched the driftboat and headtowards an area that we thought looked bassy. As they say even a blind acorn can find a squirrel or something like that.[crazy] I struck first using a 3/8 oz football jig with a crawfish plastic. I let out a Mike Iconelli scream as I saw the fish was over 18". These were not the Ririe smallmouth we were used to. I pulled out another nice one from that hole before we moved on.

The bass tested our patience for the next four hours as we did not touch any fish between 11:00-3:00. We became concerned about Steelfishers health and sanity as cast after cast he vowed to not eat or drink until he was rid of the skunk.[cool]

Then the water temperature warmed up a little to 43 degrees. It was like the switch turned on and the bass wanted to cooperate. They were hanging out in 6-8ft of water and taking 3.5" crawfish jigs.

We ended up catching and releasing 27 awesome bass between us. The smallest bass that we caught were over 12" and I would say half were over 15". We got one over 20." I just couldn't believe how heavy those bass were and how thick. Like I said we just kept comparing them to the ones we have caught at Ririe and there is no comparison. The biggest ones that I have caught a Ririe were just average on this trip.

Here are a few pictures of a great trip with great friends.
[signature]
wow! those are some hawgs! I'm jealous
[signature]
That looks like some serious fun! Are they likely to become even more active as the water warms up? Also, where on the Snake did you go? Understandable if it is hush hush.[Wink]
[signature]
I am just learning how to bass fish but I would imagine it will get better and better as the fish move towards their beds.

As for the location. I have sworn Steelfisher's GPS coordinates to secrecy.J/K[laugh] It is a huge piece of water between Massacre Rocks and Raft River. It is more important to figure out what kind of structure they are keying on and it will constantly change as the fish move from the prespawn to the spawn.

Windriver
[signature]
[font "Times New Roman"]This was one of the better fishing trips I have been on because expectations were low when we saw how cold the water was, and then the fishing turned out to be so good for both size and numbers. None of us had fished this area before but thanks to Windriver’s research the trip turned into a success rather than just an outing to a new area. [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]I am more of a fly fisherman/steelhead fisherman but these bass are so fun that I may need to reprioritize my fishing preferences. We are lucky to live in a state where we have good trout, steelhead, salmon, bass, walleye, perch, crappie, catfish, ….etc fishing. I just wish I had time and money to get out more because I have not yet caught some of these fish.[Smile][/font]
[font "Times New Roman"] [/font]
[font "Times New Roman"]SteelFisher[/font]
[signature]
12 inches or 20 They all put up a great fight I have been wanting to get up there and try it I know alot of guys that head up there every weekend. For a bass they taste great to. Remember though a smally is a cold water fish, dont let the bass part fool you I have caught them in the bear river in febuary.
[signature]
Great post, and great pictures guys. Glad to see you got into them. Those are the kind of days that you look back on and cherish, because they don't come along often enough. Kim. You look like maybe you've had a tough winter. Kinda scrawny! I've got 40 lbs I'll let you have for free. [laugh]
[signature]
So is the water there deep enough for a normal outboard or to shallow? I know where that is but have just never gotten down there. I know in the fall it looks pretty shallow but dont know this time of year.
[signature]
Congrats, on the great smallies. Since I am new to the area could you give me a general idea where you put in at?
[signature]
There were a couple of bassboats running full tilt. I would be careful we did see a couple of underwater obstacles.

Windriver
[signature]
We put in at Massacre Rock State Park

Windriver
[signature]
I've been wanting to hit that area of the state for the last 2-3 years. I know there was a lot of talk that the next state record smallie was going to come from that vicinity, until it was broken at Dworshak again. I have some ideas that there are a couple spots in S.E. Idaho where they approach that size, if they aren't already there, if not in those numbers. I plan to keep where fairly low key until I know for sure though. You guys definately had a good afternoon and make me wish I had been there.
[signature]
Hi Lew,

My new diet and exercise program is fishing. Someone needs to tell my wife that to make exercise effective you have to do it at least 4 times a week.[cool]

SteelFisher
[signature]
Windriver- Absolutely stunning pictures of some great Smallmouth fishing and the last two scenes of the setting sun are beautiful. I have heard lots of stories from down that way, but, never experienced it myself. Wonderful that you would share it with all of us. Would you consider allowing me to use this on my blog? I would like my readers to see your story.

[signature]
[quote SteelFisher]Hi Lew,

My new diet and exercise program is fishing. Someone needs to tell my wife that to make exercise effective you have to do it at least 4 times a week.[cool]

SteelFisher[/quote]

I can handle that detail for you, but it'll cost you a quarter, and you'll have to take me fishing. [laugh]
[signature]
WOW! SUPER REPORT!! Love the pics and also the ending BEAUTIFUL!! Smallies are another of my favorite species! Thanks for sharing!
Smiles Always![cool]
MA
[signature]
Thats fine with me as long as you encourage your readers to use this forum for fishing discussion and questions. I don't profit off of this its just fun to see everybody being successful and learning from each other.

Windriver
[signature]
Great pictures! Those were some nice bass. Ron
[signature]
Nice Smallies
[signature]
all i have to say is WOW and i know what im doing this weekend
[signature]