Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on getting off of Comcast
Got my new bill from Comcast and my new monthly amount is $184.74 (up from $148.18). Called and got the answer that I knew that I would get and that is the special pricing plan that I qualified far has now expired. Last time this happened I was able to get rebundled (if that is a correct term) and get the rate back down where it had been. This time the best they could offer was a $10 reduction. I get telephone, cable and Internet through Comcast. I have Qwest in my area and was wondering if I combined Qwest with a satellite TV provider if I could save any significant savings? How fast is the connection from Qwest compared to Comcast? Appreciate any advice that anyone has to offer.
[signature]
That does sound like a lot of dough. I've had satellite TV (first Direct TV and now Dishnetwork) and like them both. It costs me $39/month for more channels than I can ever hope to watch + my local channels too. We're not a movie family so we don't have HBO, etc. My internet is by our local phone company CentraCom and that runs $35/month for DSL high speed and my local phone is $22/month on top of that. So I'm paying a total of $96 for everything. Does Comcast itemize your bill so you can see how much you're paying for each (cable, phone, internet)? In our area we also have Comcast cable, but I literally don't know of ANYONE who subscribes anymore. Everyone is with satellite TV because its cheaper and you get more for what you pay. As for the satellite TV, both Direct TV or DishNetwork are very similar, the reason I switched was I could not get the outdoor channel with DirectTV unless I bought into a really expensive plan. With Dish I can add outdoor channel on as an al-a-carte for $2/month, which I do. I'd consider whoever gives you the best deal.
[signature]
Thanks Scott. Everything is bundled in one price and I am certain if I try to keep high-speed Internet only with Comcast and purchase TV and telephone elsewhere that I will still be paying a small fortune. I will try to contact Qwest today.
[signature]
I have Qwest as my phone and internet provider and I pay around $85 a month. They bundle Direct TV also with them but I decided to say with the Dish because of the different packages they have. I'm sure I could have had the whole package for less than $40 more, had I chose to have Direct TV. I have unlimited local and long distance phone service, no cell service, so that would cost more. Also if you have a premium package for the Direct TV that would cost you more but this should give you a better idea on Qwest pricing, good luck.
[signature]
I share your frustration Kent. I too am being taken for a ride by comcast and it's not the first time. They always seem to remove my favorite channels from my package and then it's an upgrade to get them back.
[signature]
I just switched my satellite to direct tv, and pay 55 a month including all the fishing/outdoor channels, and my internet is through a local company for 39 a month. So 94. I dont have a home phone, cause I'm hardly home to answer the telemarketers anyway.
[signature]
[size 4][font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000]Kent,[/#800000][/font][/size]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4] [/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]My best advice is to get off of cable ASAP. They are no bargain at all.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Ask yourself what type of TV programming you can get by with based on family watching habits. For instance, we can not live without Fox News Channel and the Outdoor Channel. Look at the different packages that both Directv and Dish offer and pick the one that best meets your watching needs.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]Next, get rid of your home phone and switch to mobile (cell) service. Home phones will be all but completely gone in 10 to 15 years anyway so you might as well make the switch now. We have a 2 phone package with 700 minutes from Verizon for about $70 per month which includes long distance and no roaming.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]And lastly, if it’s available in your area, switch to DIGIS.NET for your Internet needs. It’s actually faster than DSL and runs $35 per month with some special sign up deals from time to time. I’ve had it for about a year now and it is great. If you sign up with Digis, PLEASE use me as a reference as it will get me a credit on my next bill. [cool][/size][/#800000][/font]
[font "Comic Sans MS"][#800000][size 4]If you go with a basic satellite program, basic one phone cell package, and Digis, you’d be looking at less than $100 a month for the total. If you added some more TV and a second cell phone, you’d still be cheaper than your present cable deal.[/size][/#800000][/font]
[signature]
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Thanks. We currently have three TVs connected to cable. Does one need three separate converter boxes (perhaps not the correct name for them) to run three TVs with satellite?
[signature]
No converter boxes are needed with the satellite systems, the converter system is all built in no matter how many TV's you have, as long as you pay for them[Wink].
[signature]
So all TVs can be on different channels (without separate converter boxes for each TV) with a satellite system?
[signature]
No, you will need a box for each TV but they are receiver boxes,not converter boxes. You will be able to see different channels on each TV but you do pay extra for each receiver. I'm sure you do that with cable, don't you? The converter boxes are just for TV's that use antennas to receive a signal. I'm not sure if the receivers converts the signal or if the signal is converted before it gets to the receiver but either way all you need is the receiver box.
[signature]
Well, after much frustration and being told repeatedly that Qwest does not service my area, I signed up today to switch to Qwest and Direct TV (packaged through Qwest). I found out that Qwest has the full range of Internet speeds in my area and my monthly fee will be about $90 or less than half what Comcast is charging me! That is even with more TV channels.
[signature]
I'm glad it worked out for you Kent but I wonder why they would tell you that Qwest does not service that area[:/]? Was it Qwest telling you that or Comcast? Comcast has hooked a lot of folks with their starter rates only to jack the price up and make you think you have no choice. Hopefully other folks like you will get them to rethink their prices and start dropping them. It's great for the consumer, when there is competition[Wink].
[signature]
Online I entered my address to a Qwest site and the site stated that Qwest was not available in my area (which I knew was not correct because I changed from Qwest telephone service to Comcast and a neighbor who lives less than 1/2 of a block from me recently had Qwest Internet service. I then called the telephone number listed on that site and was told by that person that service was not available in my area. I pushed harder and found out that her company contracted with Qwest to sell Qwest services. She gave me a telephone number to call Qwest directly. I called Qwest and got the same story! I pushed again and she dug deeper and found out that service was not only available, but their fastest Internet connection was also available (apparently, many places do not have the fastest service available). I think the problem was tha Cobble Creek can be spelled as one word or two words. Sorry you asked?
[signature]