Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old Man and Grand Son
Took the grand son to the Weber yesterday afternoon and had a great time. The best part of it was that I got him into fish! He's pretty new at this type of fishing and did well! I hope I'm not commiting a unpardonable sin by posting about fly fishing. To tell you the truth, I like the audience and attitude (moderating) on this forum. Some the flaming, elitists, etc. get kind of tiresome.

Actually, I was surprised how good the fishing was considering water conditions and time of year. We caught mostly whiteys but also a few browns. Brought home one 18 in brown for dinner. My grand son told me he released a 24 in whitey while fishing around the bend. I'm proud of him, not only is he catching on to river fishing but he is learning to "talk the talk". LOL We have jointly agreed on a new fishing term between us. It is the "pro-release". It has certain specifications. Must be caught on a fly, fought on line until brought to hand/land and releasing the fish with out touching!!! LOL We were able to accomplish this feat on about 50 % of our fish and are quite proud. We did catch several whiteys in the 18-20 in range and saw only one other fisherman. Was almost run over by a rafter though. I've read quite a few posts on other forums about bad "experiences" from other fisherman but have always been treated with courtesy.??? I've fished this river probably as often as anyone. Any way, we had a great day until we got blown off the river by wind and rain.

[cool][crazy]Leaky
I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF COUNTING PRO-RELEASES, BUT MY FRIENDS AND I COUNT "LDR'S" = LONG DISTANCE RELEASE. IF WE GET THE FISH CLOSE ENOUGH TO TOUCH THE LEADER IT IS CONSIDERED AN LDR. NICE POST.
[signature]
Nice report Leaky , were you fishing nymphs ? When the wind and rain hit ya , cast some big streamers or hoppers . I've hooked some big ones when the weather is getting dangerous (thunder&lighting) . But hey I can be consider crazy too .Lighting missed me one time by about 20 ' . Man it sounds alot different when it's that close . crazy I know . LOL
[signature]
LDR's, I usually laugh and call that a good fish and get back to catching more. Unless it's a big picture taker then I get pissed and look to see if anybody else noticed how big it was and laugh when that fish gets bigger as the day goes by.
[signature]
Nice report! Those whitefish can really put a bend in the flyrod. I used to fish the Provo river through town with my 3wgt flyrod. I would occasionally hook into a nice whitefish. What a battle! I've caught most of the white fish on bead head Pheasant Tails or Bead Head Hare's Ears.

Catch a few for me!

ES
[signature]