Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fishing Swan falls to celebration park
Hello there.

I just moved to Idaho from Arkansas 2 weeks ago. I brought my canoe with me, and I'm planning on making the float from swan falls to celebration park next week. I am used to fishing smaller rivers for bass in the south on spinning equipment. Any suggestions on how to fish this river for bass? I hope to use rapala floating minnows and rooster tails if this is productive. Appreciate any help. Jimmy.
[signature]
Jimmy

You have a good plan....I have done this trip a few times and always gaught a bunch of fish. I use ultra equip with 4LB test....hook ups are always FUN. I would suggest you take a small anchor and stop and fish the holes with a plastic worm on the bottom. Crawdad colors work best. The trip will take you 4-6 hrs. Let me know how you do.
Fishtoe
That is an excellent smallmouth stretch. I have taken several driftboat trips from Swan Falls to Celebration. I hope you are good with a canoe. There are hydraulics there that will suck a boat down quickly. The water might be high and it will be cold. Keep your PFD on.

You shouldn't have a problem finding the smallmouth. They will be everywhere. If all else fails use some splitshot, sharp hook, and a worm. You may also catch quite a few Northern Pikeminnow (squawfish). There are catfish down there, too.

I have always had good luck on crawdad pattern crankbaits and just about any color tube. Depending on flows you may have to jump to a 1/4 oz. if the the 1/8 oz. does not get you close enough to the bottom. I usually run a 6'6" spinning setup with at least 8lb. line. You will be hung up frequently and the jagged rocks there are not forgiving.

That is a great stretch of water to float in the summer, too.

I don't know how savvy you are on a canoe but if it were my first time on that river I would hit a rental place and get a raft for a day.
[signature]
Welcome to Idaho!

You are looking at mainly smallmouth. Fish rock structure out of the main current or near an edge.

Try A Rapala Fat Rap Crawdad (Brown) [Image: i110478sq03.jpg]& a Bomber Model A Crawdad (red) [Image: Model%20A_RCR.jpg?w=100]if you have them. If not try any crawdad pattern crankbait.

3" grubs & gitzits (tube baits) in punkin seed, smoke pepper & smoke pepper with copper flake.

Let us know how you do.
[signature]
This sounds like a great place , where is it , what river?
[signature]
OK. ya'll have me a little freaked out about the boating part, but the fishing sounds right up my alley. Any more info on what to expect with the canoe? Is there a certain cfs that is too high and where do I find out what the flow rate is? I'll probably make the trip tuesday.
[signature]
Snake River below Swan Falls Dam
[signature]
[quote jbwbuckrn]OK. ya'll have me a little freaked out about the boating part, but the fishing sounds right up my alley. Any more info on what to expect with the canoe? Is there a certain cfs that is too high and where do I find out what the flow rate is? I'll probably make the trip tuesday.[/quote]

You will be fine in your canoe. It's not whitewater or anything like that. The river is wide, slow & powerful, perfect for paddlin' but not swimmin'. There can be undertow like any big river. Wear a life jacket.[Wink]

You will have a blast![fishin] FISH ON!
[signature]