Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Anyone use the Pfluger Patriarch?
Hey guys

I am HOPEFULLY going to be getting a patriarch soon, just wanted to see if anyone out there has one and if they like it? Thanks

Tight Lines

Going out tonight, will post pics if I get any Bass

Tight Lines

[fishin]
[signature]
I know this is an old post, but saw it and thought I'd reply. I got a Patriarch last June. This is only my second baitcaster. The first one I had was a Shimano Crestfire. Basically it was like going from a Yugo to a Ferrari. Don't get me wrong, the Crestfire served its purpose. I learned how to use a baitcaster by using an entry level one. I think that's the best way to do it. If you don't like it, you're not out a lot of money. The Patriarch is fantastic. The biggest problem I had (as many people do) when learning to use a baitcaster was backlashes - with the Crestfire, I had so many I can't even count. I've had only a handful with the Patriarch (probably due to my own mistakes rather than issues with the reel). Once I was able to use the Cresfire consistently with no brakes applied and only thumbing the spool and not getting any backlashes, I figured it was time to upgrade.

With the centrifugal brakes on the Patriarch, you have to remove the side plate. I have 2 brakes engaged and pretty much forget about it after that. Then there's the magnetic brakes which you can adjust on the fly depending on your lure weight etc. - this is on a dial on the side plate like many baitcasters. I got the 7.1:1 gear ratio to use with buzzbaits and other topwaters, and just slow down my retrieve when using other lures. It works out fine.

I don't know if it's the lightest baitcaster out there, but I don't have a problem with it. It's light enough for me, fits great in my palm, and is well constructed. I don't have any complaints about this reel at all. I'm using Suffix Performance Braid 40lb (10lb dia.). and have it on a Fenwick World Class 6'6" rod. To me this is a fantastic combo. Eventually though I'll be putting it on a rod I'm building myself (when I finally get time to finish it).

It's price tag is a little steep, but I think it's well worth the money. If you get one (or have already gotten one) I'm sure you'll be happy you got it.
[signature]