Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lake Powell
Had the chance to spend 4 days at Lake Powell (Bullfrog) over the weekend and wanted to give a quick report. First, a while back there was a question posted on favorite bass lures or baits. I responded with 4 inch Yamamoto grubs in rootbeer, watermelon or smoke on a 1/4 lead head jig. After this weekend I might want to change my opinion. We trolled up stripers on Walley Divers and shad raps without any problems. I pitched Yammies for numberous smallies and an occasional largemouth. On the way out, I stopped by Sportsmans and picked up a few topwater baits. I stuck with the basics and bought white PopR's. So after getting bored with the stripers and grubs, I tied on a PopR and threw it up towards the rocks. It just sits there, so I start twitching it across the top. Very easy bait to figure out. I let the bait stop a couple of times and just about to the boat, WHAM!!!!, my first walleye of the weekend, actually the only walleye for the weekend!!! I caught a few more smallies and one largemouth on the PopR. For numbers, I will stay with the grubs but for sheer excitement, the PopR has my vote!! The boat is going to the Gorge for the summer and I cant wait to try out some topwaters on Gorge smallies. My question is this, what is a good topwater bait for Gorge smallies? Sorry my Powell report has turned into a Gorge question but these topwaters baits have really got me going!!

KK
[signature]
i would say the best lure is one you have confidence in which seems to be one you allready have on hand

aquaman
[signature]