Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How to fish EXTREMELY heavy cover?
I found a new lake only accessible from shore, it is home to MONSTER bass, the bass are hardly ever fished for there because the main focus there is HUGE carp. My question is, there is some serious underwater weeds/grass, from the bottom to the top of the lake, and its a quarry

The only place I can hook a bass is any where there is an opening in the weeds as well as some shallow coves, and when I hook a decent bass it darts into the weeds and takes me about 10 mins to reel in because the weeds are so thick.

I have tried everything to get through the weeds, braid, fluro ( FRAYS HORRIBLY) jigs spinners plastics.

Any Ideas?

[inline 8lber.jpeg]
[signature]
Up your rod and line strength and get mean on them. Rip them out of the cover. I have a similar place here like that and that is the only way you can get them.
[inline "a decent one.JPG"]
[signature]
Have you tried a 30lb braid or higher? There should be no problems using those lines. Good luck!
[signature]
[quote Scruffy]Have you tried a 30lb braid or higher? There should be no problems using those lines. Good luck![/quote]

Exactly Scruffy! You can get some 30lb braid that has the width of 12lb fluorocarbon and with a heavy rod and good reel you should be able to muscle even a hawg up through that mess. I have a similar pond here that I fish and below are some techniques I use that produce nice bass regularly.

If your referring to lures getting caught up and you reeling in huge amounts of vegetation each cast I recommend using weedless topwater lures.

You can even rig plastic lizards, frogs, snakes or large 12" worms with a weedless hook and no weight then just twitch and reel a few feet over the vegetation and let the lure set still for about 10 seconds and repeat. Some of the largest bass will be hanging out right under some of the heaviest vegetation in ponds like that believe it or not.

When you get to a "hole" or break in the vegetation let the lure sink slowly down into the clear area to the bottom then let it rest there for anywhere from 10 to 30 seconds then continue the twitch reel technique.
[signature]
I am using a heavy braid (10lb) on a baitcaster on a heavy rod, as well as 12lb fluro on Pfluger asaro with M/H Rod
[signature]
[quote hawghunter1]I am using a heavy braid (10lb) on a baitcaster on a heavy rod, as well as 12lb fluro on Pfluger asaro with M/H Rod[/quote]

Yea you're going to need to up the test. At least 20lb braid in a pond overgrown with vegetation. I would recommend:

PowerPro : [font "Verdana"][size 2]Innovative Textiles[/size][/font]

[#ffffff][size 2][font "Verdana"]Po[/font][/size][/#ffffff]
[font "Verdana"][size 2]Colors Available[/size][/font] [font "Verdana"][size 2] Moss Green, Hi-Vis Yellow, White[/size][/font] [font "Verdana"][size 2] Line
[/size][/font][font "Verdana"][size 2][/size][/font] [font "Verdana"][size 2] Price[/size][/font] [font "Verdana"][size 2] $11.99 (150yds/50lb)[/size][/font]

[size 2][font "Verdana"]PowerPro 50 lb test line has a diameter of 12 lb test monofilament[/font][/size]

If you use that line you will not lose anymore bass or lures in any heavy vegetation.

[#ff0000]One note you must remember when using braided! If you get hung up good and can't get it free DO NOT wrap you're hand around the braid and try to free the lure it can cut right into your flesh easy and NOT break. You have to just cut the line if you get one of those hang ups.[/#ff0000]
[signature]
Thanks bytebull

I already have 10lb spiderwire on the baticaster, I will get 20lb put on next trip to cabelas, soon becuase I need to get some more big heavy senkos
[signature]
and while I have you here,

I am using Berkley Vanish 12lb Fluro, and let me tell you all about GARBAGE! it truly frays like string cheese, it splits right down the middle.

Now I plan to go out to cabelas also to buy P-LINE Fluro, do I want copolymer fluro or their fluroclear?
[signature]
yeah i'd say 30lb braid and a 7 foot medium heavy rod
and try a frog. like a spro one or something of that sort. you can cover a lot of water
[signature]
I had alot of problems a few years back with vanish. It would knick so easy. I have switch to the Berkley Professional Flourocarbon. WHAT A DIFFERENCE! I swear by it. I buy it in 2000yard bulk spools. I actually use flourocarbon for everything except topwater and some flipping. For extra heavy cover I prefer power pro line.
[signature]
Heavy grass is a big P.I.A. You can fool around on the edges at times, but for the most part, you need to get in there and fish the thick stuff.

I fished a tournament at Cayuga Lake in NY last month and the guys with the bigger weights were all pulling largies out of the grass beds.

I throw T-Rigged Beavers with a 1/4 oz Tungsten sinker on 40# Power Pro on a 7' Heavy Loomis GLX Mag Bass Rod.... and basically, just make a long cast and pull the lure through the clumps and into the openings. The 1/4 oz weight is nice because the lure will fall nice and naturally. Braided line and a sensitive rod will tell you if you've got a strand of grass stuck to your lure, but it doesn't happen as often as you'd think.

You can almost do the same thing with a weightless Senko. In Pennsylvania, the spinnerbait bite has finally caught on, so I've been burning a 1/2 oz spinnerbait through the weeds as well.
[signature]
That place looks like a great place to throw a frog. Looks similar to the place I've been fishing frogs

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIjZCt9Ifg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFIjZCt9Ifg[/url]

and

[url "http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7E5p2A6nw"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wS7E5p2A6nw[/url]

I suggest the Fish Arrow Cover Jack, Spro Dean Rojas Bronxeye or Scum Frog Bigfoot. Bring these frogs over the heavy cover and wait for the blow-ups! There's nothing better. Like these guys are saying use heavy braid.
[signature]
use braided line and weedless hooks
[signature]
go to bass pro and get one of their ugly stik/sheakspeare(Sorry I can't spell!) combos with a big reel, and then jkust get 40-50 lb test mono. and, use weedless topwaters, texas-style worms, or try to lure them out and catch them in an open spot. Jitterbug on a moonlit night!
[signature]
[font "Georgia"][/font][#005000][/#005000]I really liked your fishing hat videos and they are nice clear videos. Nothing wrong with catching pickeral. Shame you didn't have a boat at this time cover more areas. But still nice bass and my congratulate to you and your brother![/font][/i][/b]
[signature]
when I fish heavy cover like what you are describing I use 65lb power pro braid. Daiwa steez reel and the 7'1" compile X rod and have never had a problem recovering those swamp donkeys! Typically a frog or a lizard is used I like the spro for this. You can also punch fish it too just make sure the weight doesnt fall on your head!! We do it when we fish the Delta and it produces some toads! Heavy bullet weight pegged flip it as high as you can and it will penetrate the cover 90% of the time let it fall and hold on.
[signature]
my suggestions would be the Money Minnow it can swim through the cover [Smile]
[signature]