Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would like to take my kids fishing
Does anyone have any suggestions for a place to take my kids fishing this Saturday (May 16th) I am having trouble finding current fishing reports.

I would like to get out of town if possible. Anything within a hour and a half drive of Meridian that might provide some reasonable fishing? My kids dont really care what kind of fish. They are 8 and 5 years old have have new fishing poles and

A couple of years ago, I took them to Blacks Creek Resevoir and caught several perch from the shore and they loved it. Did it go dry last year? Any fish? How about Indian Creek?

Are there any Crappie accessable from shore anywhere? Back in Iowa, I would start hitting the coves, canals and inlets right now and do great. Is it a similar story around here? I have been in Meridian for 4 years now and have only been fishing 2 times.
[signature]
How about Horseshoe Bend Pond? It is easy to fish, and you can park your car at your fishing site. Night crawlers, fishing marshmallow, and you are set! Mike
[signature]
Lake Lowell by Nampa and Caldwell is fishable fro shore by the dam. Forgiven and I fished below at the out let and caught some nice bullheads 2 weeks ago but there are crappie there in the Lake.
[signature]
Thanks! I ended up going to Indian Creek. Didnt catch anything or get any bites. Kids had fun, and I took my Lab with and he had fun getting muddy.

I was supprised at how low the water was. Seems a lot lower than in previous years. I have not been out here that long so it could be normal. Didnt bother with Blacks Creek. Only fish I saw was a half head bluegill stuggling along near shore. Going to stick to the little city parks for the next trip. Just wanted to get out. I was originally going to head down to Crain Falls and if that didnt work, go to Bruneau. Kids were ornery so cut it short.

-Me
[signature]
Took my 5 year old out last weekend to Blackscreek. fished the second cove before the dam with worms right on the bottom. We caught 10 nice bullhead , fifteen perch and two bluegill. The perch and one of the bluegill were small. I have found that if you attach a bell or a bobber to the line between the first and second eyelet on your pole then pull it down about 6 to12 inches so the bell and the string are just hanging the kids get a kick out of watching it go up and down when they get bit and it keeps them interested longer and it's easier for them to watch than the tip of a pole. Remember what ever you attach make it easy to remove or that will let the line slip through. My kid is still talking about how he fished with a bell.
Rick
[signature]
Well crud, wished I had stopped at Blacks Creek on the way back. I will have to wanter out that way this next weekend and see if anything is still biteing. The cove that you are taking about is the same one I caught all the perch in when I went out there 2 years ago.

I still have to Smile about that trip. My oldest was a little squeemish and didnt want to touch the fish. We kept a couple of perch. She was sitting cross-legged and poking at a perch with a stick. The fish did a flip, flopped up into the air and landed in her lap. She screamed, I was laughing so hard I couldnt stand up and my youngest daughter just sat there observing her 2 odd family members.
[signature]
Its kind of funny to hear you guys talk about bullheads. Back in Iowa, thats all I ever fished for when I was a kid. River fishing for bullheads and catfish. My mother and grandfather always only fished for bullheads for some reason. Really, fished for anything that would bite on a worm laying on the bottom. Dont remember fishing with a bobber till I was older.

I have skinned more bullheads than I can count. Then I fell in love with walleye fishing and have not fished for them in a long time.

After moving out west, I never heard much about bullheads and most that I talked to didnt really know what one was. I would just say 'think of a small catfish with a yellow or white-ish belly' Everyone seems to be all about trout. I miss walleyes a fair amount. Never cared much for bass but would go up to Okaboji for Wipers in the spring. Love ice fishing for crappies.
[signature]
So where were you that you were close to Okaboji?
[signature]
Grew up in Spencer Iowa. It was about a 20 minute drive south of the Okaboji area.

Lots of shallow marshy lakes not far from Spencer that were filled with bullheads and pearch.
[signature]
Do you know Frank Boever?
[signature]
Nope, the name doesnt seem familiar. Is he a Spencer-ite?
[signature]
Well actually we both were from Esthervville, but he has been a wrestling coach and art teacher at one of the schools there it seems from when he got out of college. He loves to fish for Pike and fished up there alot.

We are great friends and graduated from highschool together, were in scouts together and on and on.

Anyways, welcome I love it here. Happy fishin[fishin]
[signature]
Small world. I have been to Estherville numerous times. My father was a train nerd and we used to come down and poke around the rail yard before the C.R.I. & P. (Rock Island Lines) went out of business. Played a lot on the swinging bridge over the Des Moines river. Caught numerous large catfish out of that river down south around Boone Iowa and Saylorville lake.

Have to agree. Great place to live. Love it out here.

-Steve
[signature]