Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boulder Mtn. (report)
Spent the last 7 days fishing different lakes at Boulder mtn. Over all most lakes had some good fishing. Southernman came up during the weekend and we fished Upper Barkers. We fished with Powerbait and worms but the powerbait worked the best. Seen bear and lion tracks on every trail so I was extra careful will hiking alone. Walked up on 2 hens with their chicks got to about 5 feet from her before she freeked out and the chicks flew every where.

The DWR was up there doing some egg collecting for the Bonneville cuttroat relocation project. If you look close there is a deer standing next to the chair. The sign says about the project.

[Image: HEDG2797CustomImage0316815.jpg]

[Image: HEDG2797CustomImage0277733.jpg]

This is the biggest fish I kept 14-16". Ended up keeping 4 of the smallest and letting the bigger fish go.

Looks like I'll be heading back up again this weekend.
[signature]
Hey Hedg, You ever get up on top and fish horseshoe? If you get up there let me know how you do up there. Thanks buddy.
[signature]
what a great time i had, camping, fishing, and a tough lesson about knots and terminal tackle . . . upper barker res, what a beautiful lake!

[Image: bou1.jpg]

hedgesd and i hiked around the lake and i immediatley hooked a nice one, but after fighting her for 30 seconds - she broke off - upon reeling in i saw my old fisherman knot making a loop in my line for a dropper had broke off . . ahhhhhhh then it happened again later - i talked to my dad later who had taught me that and he told me it wasnt for hooks - but for a lead sinkler so it would break off easy, and you wouldn't lose your rig ahhhhhhhhh! i had forgotten that! HEDGESD taught me a better method using a swivel and two snelled hooks and it worked great for him - check out his sweet brookie!

[Image: bou2.jpg]

after i got my sh*# together, i caught a 16 inch rainbow and a bunch of new planters . . they all went back in to catch another day, as did the brookie above . . .

gotta git to work . . .later all

sm
[signature]
nice brooki you gotta love em they are a beauitful hard fighting trout (ok char) my favorate to catch

aquaman

ps use a palomar knot easy to tie good knot strenght and you will NEVER see a pigtail on the end of your line
[signature]
thanks man! i'll check that one out . .

sm
[signature]
i'll defer this question to hedgesd, he's the expert . .

sm
[signature]
Doughterly basin is C&R on all cutthroat trout. The DWR is currently trying to get ride of none native gamefish and that means Yellowstone cuts in Utah. Doughterly basin is a brood stock pond for Native Bonneville cutthroat trout. As far as manning meadow that's a different area.

That picture is Hopperluv's and it looks more like a spawning Yellowstone. Here's that same picture on BFT.

[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/Wall_of_Fame/wall.cgi?do=detail&ID=838"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/Wall_of_Fame/wall.cgi?do=detail&ID=838[/url]

I think that answered your question.

The DWR officer up there is a good friend of my Dad's and we had a nice talk about habitat and fish. I guess that fire on Dutton last year saved the DWR the trouble of killing of some of those streams of brook and rainbows for restocking native Bonneville cuts.
[signature]
I was up at horshoe last year and most of the lakes in the area dried up and had some winter kill. The Four and Five lakes had winter killed and the fish that were left were less then 12". Cresent was two different lakes and the south end had what was left. If what you want to know about is if we caught some grayling then the answer is no.

The best bet for some big brookies is to hike into some of those lakes that don't have a road going straight to them and look for lakes that are all alone instead of in groups.

If you want info on something else PM me.
[signature]
Hey hedgesd and Southerman, Great report and pictures. Good to hear from both of you. I am glad you both had a great time back at Barkers. I hope to one day get up there and fish some more. Sorry to see people [size 1]arguing[/size] over fish planted here and there. Let's have some fun!
[signature]
Hey PBH (Greenhorn) We sure could use your expert remarks. How about joining BFT by making your own reports. Sure could use your help.
[signature]
Excuse me but if your going to act like a Jack A$$ then go back to UOTF. If you look closely their is a sign on the back of the trailer about that perticular spawning project or since your such good friends with Dale ask him what it said. As far as you knowing everything about what's going on and what details I discussed with that retired DWR officer it's not for you to tell me I'm wrong.

The fish they tried to save was out of deep creek and I'm sure you know that was a different fire.

Maybe next time think before you start mouthing off. Actually you can run your mouth any time it just shows who and what your really made of.
[signature]
wow, ya see you northern guys - how much excitement and controversy happens in southern utah! yeeeeeeeeee haaaaaaaaaaaaaa lets go fishin'

sm
[signature]
Man, I would think both of you guys know eachother. Seeing where you are from. Are you sure this isn't personal? Anyway, I have seen many posts from you hedgesd and you seem cool. I have emailed to PBH before and he is cool. I communicate with his bro. every now and then and he is really cool. So the way I look at it... why can't 2 cool guys from the best part of utah, (So. Utah) [Smile] get along and learn from eachother. Afterall, don't we fish because we enjoy it??
[signature]
Well said Mr. Loppy.
[signature]