Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Arkansas Golden Shiners
So I was up ridiculously late last night, and saw a fishing show. The bait they were using was the "Arkansas Golden Shiner". So I got a little curious about using live baits to catch bass in the river. Would this yield better than a plastic worm or a crank or spinnerbait? Opinions, etc... are cool.
[signature]
yea live bait wuold work just as good..but remember this is a river and the watter is moving..you would want to drift it under a float..or thow it out with some weight and let the current carry it down..or a large slip sinker to hold it on the bottom..be carefull of the snags..live bait is fished different then artificials..
[signature]
If you go fishing almost anywhere in the United States - especially anywhere east of the Rocky Mountains - and you use golden shiners, they probably came from Arkansas, and the chances are pretty likely they came from I.F. Anderson fish farms.

Arkansas is the No. 1 producer of farm-raised baitfish, accounting for more than half of all cultured baitfish sold in the United States.

I can't help you out on live bait fishing for Bass because I just never have done it. I have always used artificial lures for Bass.

But some people use live bait for bass here and mostly it is minnows, shiners and golden shiners trolled in rivers behind boats. Live bait is primarily used for Striped Bass here and not for smallmouth or Largemouth Bass.
[signature]
Hi Simp.

Do you get bassmaster Magazine?

It has a large article on live bait fishing

Shiners will catch bigger bass in more quantities PERIOD.

Just the way it works, I was out fishing yesterday (monday) we used 5" Golden Shiners (8$ a dozen) and caught 18 decent bass and (4) 24" Pickeral. We also had some luck on senkos and topwaters, but that is after we ran out of our 5 dozen shiners.
[signature]