Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
STRAWBERRY THURS
fished strawberry today with theekillerbee. bad day noticed trailer axle support had broken when i got up there. then went to get my 3 dozen minnows out of the back of the boat that i put there to thaw and they where gone, must have blown out, there goes 10 bucks. got to the honey hole and put one of theekillerbee's minnows on casted it out and bam a good hit almost broke my rod drag was set pretty tight and it was just a singin and then snap my line broke. only hit all day for me theekillerbee caught a rainbow on powerbait and a couple crawdads on a minnow. tried everything couldnt get them trolling eather. storm rolled in and we got the hell out of Dodge was off the water just after noon. we should have left the berry alone and went to jordanelle.
[signature]
I'll second that one. Overall not a good day to be at the Berry. We trolled over by the dam, then back to the little dirt launch and we didn't mark many fish on the finder either. Seems like the rainbows were in the shallows spawing, not sure where the cutts were.
[signature]
Hey Jason,

It is bad enough to have to purchase the minnows, but then to have them blow away. I guess it could have been worse, you could have been cited for littering when they blew out of your boat. Sorry to hear about your trailer. Too bad, it sounds like you had a really good fish on, and if it broke your line you must have had on a nice rainbow.
[signature]
well here is what you should have done with the minnows, you should have headed over to renagade, and just netted what you needed, they are thick right there.
[signature]
I am sorry to hear about your trailer and your cargo. But at least you made it onto the water. I am not happy to hear the bad reports from the berry, I will be up there this weekend spending my 6th year of marriage fishing with my wife for trout. By the way, how on earth do you fish with minnows up there? I am a cheese and worm kind of angler and would like to try the minnow style.
[signature]
I have never done well on the solider creek side except one rainbow,I caught it off the NE side of the big island east of the marina,On powerbait,5lbs.LOL

My bet is on chicken creek west,the bay holds alot of fish,and have always come home with a fish or two.most times, catching a couple of limits,catch and realease is great.troll a FST triple teaser,size #2.its half chrome,half copper color. at .8-1.0mph,(If you troll this Lure to fast it spins,you want it to wobble back and forth) N to S accross the bay in 16-18ft of water.troll towards the piont thats on the north shore,I dont know what the small bay behind the piont is called but when you get in the area,stay 200yrds off the piont and flip a U'ee and head back.I have drifted nightcrawlers and power bait in orange sparkle,up the river channel on the south side and done well also.If the water is clear no alge us a #5 sliver/black back wally diver in the same area.hope this helps.

sorry to here about your trailer,its sucks,been there done that except it was a brocken leaf spring.Same lake.

Tight Lines

Tony[cool]
[signature]
If you want to catch larger fish go with the minnows. Last fall was the first time that I ever fished with them myself. I net them fresh up there and put them on ice immediately. If you don't keep them on ice they go mushy really quick (besides it is illegal to fish with live minnows). I prefer to use a shiner minnow hook and run the hook up through the bottom of the jaw and out the top of the head of the minnow. If I am having my minnow stolen too often, I will sometimes use a minnow threader and run the leader through the length of the fish with the hook near the tail of the fish. I then either still fish or troll with them. Early and late in the day fishing can be red hot in the bays up there by merely casting the minnow out, without any weight on it at all, and drift troll it through the bay. I have also had good success using a slip bobber. If still fishing with them, pretend you are fishing for catfish when you get a bite. Let them run with it at least 5 feet before setting the hook. If you either miss the hook set, or hook the fish for only a few feet, let your line go slack, and most of the time the fish will grab it a second or third time (thank you BLM for this little bit of knowledge). I will troll with them without anything else on, with a small popgear, or with a dodger. I will use leaded line, or put them behind a downrigger; however, I am sure that long-lining them with monofilament would also work at times. The average size fish I catch at Strawberry on minnows is about 18 inches, and I usually catch several 20 inches or longer (longest caught was a 25 inch cutthroat -- only 1 inch short of state catch and release record).
[signature]
Never had any luck with the frozen minnows . tried them once and had a good hit that left it mangled bad . I was trolling it in the Meadows . I caught all my big trout on jigs and flies at the Berry . About a half dozen over 27 " and none over 30"( my goal ). I guess I'm no good with bait .LOL Talk to a lot of the old timers up there at the marina and they swear by them .
[signature]
Here is a pic of the monster trout I caught at the Berry yesterday. I think the crawdads we cuaght were bigger than him! [Wink]

[Image: berrytrout.jpg]
[signature]
Recently, when I was fishing at Strawberry I let my minnow sit on the bottom for a few minutes. When I reeled it in I had a HUGE crawdad on there. My fishing buddy was trying to get the camera ready to take a picture of it, when it pinched off the head of the minnow and the crawdad, firmly attached to the body of the minnow, fell into the water.
[signature]