Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Where to fish, where to fish?
Hey guys, I am looking to have a good outing with my girlfriend, who is a beginning fisherman(woman).

We hit up Deercreek a few weeks ago as our first outing, and she caught one fish...and that was that. She out fished me, as I reported here after returning.

I have an ocean Kayak that fits two people that I am planning on taking (its kind of like a canoe). I have been reading all of the posts, and as I live here in the Salt lake Valley, near the cottonwood canyons, I narrowed it down to either East Canyon, Jordanelle, or Utah Lake for some good fishing not too far from home.

Bear in mind that we are both novices, looking to learn and catch some fish.

Thank you for your help. Smile
[signature]
East Canyon, row troll spinners off the shoreline, you'll get fish.
[signature]
Thank you for your advice.

I have heard that there are a lot of fish in East Canyon, and it seemed like the best bet to take a little kayak to. I am definitely leaning towards East Canyon unless someone presents a convincing argument to the contrary.
[signature]
If you stay in the wakeless areas, you'll be fine. However, E. Canyon turns into a zoo on the weekends. It's not that big, and most of the water skiers and waver runner operators conveniently seem to forget about the UT boating laws and like to see how close they can come with the biggest wake possible. You'll probably catch fish, just be careful on a kayak. By the way, last time I was there I caught a number of tiger trout on Gulp alive 3" minnows drop shotting for Bass. Was a bit surprised, but whatever works.

I'm leaning towards UT lake this weekend, providing it's not too windy. Main reasons...you can catch a variety of species of fish, plus the place is so large and there are a variety of places to launch, that most of the time you can get out and relax without having to worry about being buzzed or run over.
[signature]
Would a Kayak work well on Utah Lake? Where would be good to launch?

And I know next to nothing about Utah Lake ... I am not afraid to try somewhere new, but I definitely want to go somewhere that I will have a high probability of my girlfiend catching quite a few fish.
[signature]
Jordanelle also has a pretty large wakeless zone in the rock cliff section and a place to launch your kayak. I am not sure, with all the run-off what the water is like, but you can often catch rainbows along the river channel and of course there are smallies and perch. Mainly, it is just a nice place with the large wakeless zone for kayaks, tubes, pontoons and the like--just be careful of the rattle snakes.
[signature]
You guys are great! I love this site, because I can always find someone more experienced to give me advice and make myself a better fisherman and have better outings.

The only problem is, I have heard positive opinions on all three bodies of water I have been considering...

A couple more questions, then.
1- Are the perch biting at Jordanelle? I love Jordanelle for that reason.
2- Is the Rock Cliff arm really Wake free?
3- Will the recent fishing tourny there have affected the fishing at all?
[signature]
[quote trollboy8]Jordanelle also has a pretty large wakeless zone in the rock cliff section and a place to launch your kayak. I am not sure, with all the run-off what the water is like, but you can often catch rainbows along the river channel and of course there are smallies and perch. Mainly, it is just a nice place with the large wakeless zone for kayaks, tubes, pontoons and the like--just be careful of the rattle snakes.[/quote]
Was there Wednesday, not a good idea rock cliff is full of floating trees and other debris.
[signature]
How bad? Bad enough to impede fishing?
[signature]
Regarding UT lake...I like to go out of Lindon Boat Harbor.
Would be just fine for kayaking, as long as it's not windy. Watch the weather closely. That place can turn into a nightmare if a good storm comes up.

However, what you really need to do is get TubeDude's attention. He seems to be the resident expert on UT Lake, and he does it in a float tube, so I'm sure he could offer some great suggestions.

There have been a number of UT lake reports posted in the past few weeks. Try scrolling back a few days and checking them out for ideas.
[signature]
You know, another place to consider would be Mantua. Nice clear water, blue gill, perch, & large mouth bass. Now that I think of it, if I was going to go out on a kayak this weekend that is probably a good bet.
[signature]
The Rock Cliff arm is not ALL wakeless, but there is a pretty good sized section where the river comes in that is. I was wondering about the debris and how the run off would affect that section, sounds like there is a lot of debris, as mentioned by another poster. That said, I don't know if that is as big of a deal in a kayak. Truth be told, I typically don't start going to Jordanelle until June and haven't really fished it with the river running high, I am sure there are others here who know MUCH more about it than me.
[signature]
yeah if anyone has info, please post it. I would love to learn whatever you have got to teach.
[signature]
There is a lot in there I caught a bunch of stick fishes. I do not think that it would really make it that hard in a kayak, but I would defiantly not want to take anything that used air to float. I live close I will try to take some pics Monday and post them so yall can judge for yourselves. I am stuck on shore so I cant judge how bad it would be for boating.
[signature]