Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
light line vs. heavy line
O.K. I LOOSE A LOT OF HOOK-UPS BECAUSE I LIGHT LINE EVERYTHING . FOR STEELHEAD I GO WITH A 6 LB. TEST .

BUT NOMATER WHAT KIND OF FISHING I DO IT'S LIGHT LINE AND TACKLE MOST OF THE TIME . FINESSING THE FISH AND LETTING HIM MAKE HIS RUNS , TOTAL FUN ! ( I DO NOT WEAR EM OUT UNTILL THE POINT OF EXAUSTION , THATS JUST PLAIN BAD ! )

A LOT OF THE GUYS I KNOW GO WITH HEAVY LINE , HOOK EM' UP AND REEL EM' IN . NOT MUCH TO GETTING SOME OF THE FIGHT .

WHAT DO YOU GUYS THINK , GET THEM IN QUICK OR PLAY THEM A LITTLE ?
[signature]
[cool] I use Fireline , so I can get thinner line and still have the strenght to get the brutes in. I always let the fish dictate on how Im going to fight them , ussually , I like to end the battle sooner, than later , so I don't stress the fish out !

Flagmanonice................
[signature]
If i'm not in the slop then its 10lb fireline on all my spinning tackle, but for the really thick stuff its got to be 50lb power pro on the baitcasters, that stuff will rip and tear through anything, fingers included. Just watch the drag setting or you will straighten out hooks if it set too tight![mad]
[signature]

Hi lonehunter,

I fish quanity not quality. I use 12 or 16 pound test with just about all my saltwater gear when the boat load is light enough. 8 pound when there are only 10 people on the boat as it often is during the offseason. I'd rather get the hits and lose the fish than get less bites.

I've had 50 straight casts and 50 hits on Calico bass and Barracuda in the kelp before and that's a blast wouldn't trade for 5 decent yellowtail.

Once you learn how a certain species basically fights, you can adjust your strategy accordingly to get them in as quickly as possible. Example: Barracuda are suckers for the Tarpon side swipe.

I'm with you on the light line as long as I don't PO someone. Giving people fish is a good way to keep their traps shut too! ha ha

JapanRon
[signature]
Hey JapanRon: Light lining is a relative term and used in a variety of ways. Basically I am a true believer in light line tactics. I use nothing but 2 pound on trout unless I need a 100 yard cast then I use 6 pound. I consistantly use 10 pound on the Horseshoe unless there is talk of yellowtail then I use 20 pound(which is still too light).On the Farnsworth I use only 40 pound. Paddy hopping for yellowtail I start with 15 and sometimes 20. For the makos'it's 40 pound running line an 50 pound leader. My favorite barbecue is mako steaks so I don't want them to get away. I really like light line tactics and always look for ways to use the technique.
[signature]
i have been using 4 lb test for mountain trout, but i tried a buddys rod with 8 lb on last week and it sure is alot easier to tie knots with just that little thicker line . . . im switchin - i doubt ill scare away fish with a little heavier line . .. i hope!

sm
[signature]
40# for the yellows huh?

joe
[signature]

I stick with the 40lbs Izor line for the yellows, mainly because it is a good strong line. For light freshwater, I like to use the Stren Extra Strength which is a 6lbs test line in a two pound diameter (awesome for playing rambo in the tullies for bluegill and crappie!) Local fishing on the boats 30lbs and an Iron or Im not fishing, and for Calicos the 12 lbs or 20 If they are wide and I need to yank them out of the kelp!

All in all IZORLINE is the strongest line made and you can abuse it, like I do and leave my UluA jigstick and Newell 540 on the boat and not rinse the line off![pirate]

Latr,

Aaron G

Big and small kill em all!
[signature]
Tubinjoe: The reason for the #40 on the Farnsworth Bank is that the bank is a series of rocky peaks that stick up from a bottom depth over 200 feet deep to some at 45 feet below the surface.Hooked yellows immdiately swim around every peak they can find. I have been on sportboats over the years where 35 hookups occur with nary a yellow landed. When you fish the Farnsworth you do so with a hammered drag and it's a simple battle of your back vs the yellow. Sometimes one of those 100 pound bluefin also might appear from the deep and "carve you a new one".Yes,this is the time where #40 can be considered light tackle.
[signature]

Hi there southernman,

Reading your comment, it struck me that you might want to try a fluorocarbon line as the ones I have had success with allowed me to use heavier test line and yet the line visibility to the fish was supposed to be equivilant to half the test rating. And this with the diameter of the fluorocarbons lines typically 20% more than other lines with the same test rating!

I've used 8 different fluorocarbons and each has it's good and bad points depending on fish, weight, water, etc. Abrasion resistance is usually better than most lines too.

Check them out!

JapanRon
[signature]
thanks, how much more are they than reg mono? the spiderwire i use isnt the cheapest to start with . . . is flurocarbon just better all around?

sm
[signature]
on sportboats something to keep in mind about light line is cutting people off years ago while fishing the farnworths for the challange i pulled out my bait caster with 12# line managed to land a 16# YT at the expence of wrapping an cutting of three guys two on 40# line and one on 60# not a way to make friends oh and i did bring up a peice of that beuitiful purple coral also got a 36# YT on a 665xxh rod 80# line and a beat down drag that fish beat me down had me pegged to the rail to the point that i was begging someone to take the rod they just laughed saying you hooked it you land it longest minute of my life !!!!!

chris
[signature]
WELL , I GUESS AS A BANK FISHERMAN THE LIGHT LINE IS DOING PRETTY GOOD FOR ME , IF I WAS OUT ON THE BIG WATERS I GUESS I WOULD TRY SOMETHING A LITTLE HEAVIER .

SPIDERWIRE , WELL OLD HABITS LIKE PULLING ON THE LINE WHEN BOTTOM SNAGED IS HARD TO BREAK , SPIDERWIRE HAS LEFT ME WITH BANDAID KNUCKELS . YOU THINK I WOULD LEARN AFTER THE FIRST FEW CUTS ! LOL !
[signature]
Well, I guess I'm a wimp. I use the heaviest line I can possibly get away with. Haha. But what do you expect from a beginner? Sure came in handy pulling them northerns out of the weeds. Also came in handy with them carp that totally bent up my hooks during the fight. But I got 'em!
[signature]
NO, YOUR NO WIMP, WHILE YOUR SITTING DOWN TO A FRESH COUGHT MEAL , I'M POPPING OPEN A MRS,PAULS FISHSTICK PACK ! LOL !
[signature]
[Tongue] Buy some heavier line lonehunter !!!!! LOL

[Smile][cool][Tongue] Flagmanonice..........
[signature]
Great Info Here!

LoneHunter, I think its a trade off. If you go with the heavier line you probably won't hook up as much, but when you do you will land more fish.

For me the trade off is worth it. I'd rather loose a couple more fish then be hooked up less. I always opped for the lightest line possible for the fish I'm fishing unless there are some special circumstances that merit a bit heavier line.
[signature]
¸.·´¯`·.´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><(((º>

TheAngler BFT Moderator
Hehe. I've been using 30 lb Spiderwire Fusion with a nice mono leader on it. Never played with leaders before. So far I've had no problems with backlash and I can feel the fishies better through the fabric, rather than the plastic. Nice thing about the Spiderwire I'm usin', it only has a 15 lb diameter. It's actually upped my catchin' percentage!
[signature]
truth is , i like hearing the drag scream [angelic] .

ultra-lites are a blast with the panfish , but hooking into a hog or anything that's heavier than the line is rated for , well it's foreplay for the sole !

if your ever on a river and you see some guy batteling a fish and he's yelling out , " who's your daddy now ? " , just come on over and tell me " hi " .

i actually do this , no joke . you should see me with the steelhead on the 6 lb. line .

to feel more hits , just put your index finger on the shaft base of your rod , or finger your line . handels asorb a lot of the vibration that is telegraphed thru the string and rod .
[signature]
I also like to use light line. I use 4# line for the catfish at the local lake. I caught a 5 1/2 pound cat on 4#. like you said lonehunter.... its foreplay for the sole![Wink] its alot more fun knowing that you can lose this fish at any time. and letting the fish take it's runs is a rush!!!

joe
[signature]