Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
help?!?!!!!!!!
hi i was wondering if any one could help me, i have a abu 5500c3 and i was casting chunks of menhaden for a chance at a nice striper and i kept on getting backlashes even before it could pass my leader. the same thing happened to me a little earlier today and lost my best plug. any help is welcomed i am desperate.
[signature]
Is this a new reel for you or has it always worked fine in the past. I couldn't help but notice you saying that it is backlashing before it passes your leader. Are you reeling your leader up through the eyes. If so, don't. Always leave the beginning of your leader about an inch outside the first rod eye. This will allow for the line to exit the rod/reel more smoothly and reduce your chances of a backlash.

Also, if throwing a heavy chunk of bait, always adjust the reels magnets to the appropriate setting for the weight of the bait as it will likely vary each time you put bait on. When the magnets are adjusted properly, you should be able to release the spool (not casting) and the line should fall in a controlled manor to the ground. If the line is falling to fast, then tighten up the setting. I hope this helps you out. Good luck.
[signature]
thanks for the help, i have been using the reel for a while but not for this purpose, and what i meant by the leader was a 20ft piece of mono i was using as a shock leader since i'm using braid. and if you have have any other tips for reels without magnets that would be great
[signature]
Hmmm. One thing that's been of great help for me is to not use a swivel. Of course I'm not striper fishing but fish for an equally strength of fish (Snook).

When I use braid, I try not to use a swivel and use a double centauri knot to attached the braid to my leader. I usually use a 30lb flouro leader. Some help on the knot can be found here: [url "http://www.videospider.tv/Videos/Detail/869357539.aspx"]http://www.videospider.tv/Videos/Detail/869357539.aspx[/url]

Its a very strong knot and doesn't slip like most line to leader knots when using braid. Also, when I mentioned adjusting the magnets I simply mean to make the adjustment on the reel that makes pulling line off when free spooled more difficult (whether the reel has actual magnets for this or not).
[signature]