Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard 5/23
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]Well, I don't know if UThunter is going to make a post... but here's my version of the day.

[size 5][size 3]It was fun! Even with the storm.[/size]

[/size]
Okay, now for the detailed report [:p]

I beat him to our meeting place at Flying J (see? I really can be up at the crack of dawn! So HA!), and we were out on the water about 7:30 A.M. or so.
I suggested Freeway Bay, since that seems to be one of the popular spots. He was trying a bottom bouncer (or at least that's what it looked like). His wife had a gray jig, and I had a yellow rattle crankbait. I'm not sure what his daugher had.

About 9 or so, I think (I wasn't really keeping track of time), his wife got a Wiper. It was decently sized. After taking it out of the net, UThunter went to put it in the live well...just as soon as we got finished admiring it. It was a good little fishy, and sat still with no squirming or even gill flaring. When he said "I estimate it weighs about..." it flipped right out of his hands, and back into the water!

I changed to a gray rattle crankbait, figuring maybe that was a good color as we had finally gotten something with it! Later, the little girl (not me, the other one!) got a Walleye on her line. But while it was being reeled in, it decided to go find something else to eat.

About 1:30 P.M., we finally gave up, because we were all tired (and Emily was kind of bored). Decided to go home and take a nap, try again later.

Once again, I was first one to the meeting place! Go me!
On the water about 7 P.M., and we headed over to the light pole. Though it was rather stormy (I sooo wanted to take pictures, because the clouds and the mist on the mountain was so purdy! But I had left my camera in the car... feh!). After only about half an hour, if even that long, we decided to head back. Halfway there, we got TOTALLY SLAMMED!!! with rain. My coat doesn't have a hood, so they let me borrow a spare coat to put over myself. I guess I didn't put it far enough over, because when we got back to the marina, I was soakin' wet. But it wasn't so bad, as it wasn't really cold. Or at least not nearly as cold as it was when me and Bassrods got hailed on last May.

So... does that count as a skunk? We did boat a fish, but it still got away!
As for myself, I did get truly skunked... yet AGAIN!!!! I'll get something this year, if it kills me! At least I'll die doing what I love, huh? LOL

Oh yeah, and water temperature was about 65F or so, give or take a couple degrees throughout the day. Also, we had depths of about 15-20 feet at Freeway Bay, and over by the light pole was 25! I remember last year, when 10 feet seemed deep.

I'ma go soothe my skunkiness with a bubble bath, and be girly now (me and UThunter were the only ones not grossed out by the worms! LOL)

[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
You will get into them sooner than later with the drive to catch that you have.. I am just crossing my fingers for the day that you post a report that has no skunks involved. Good luck to you and, I love your determination its commended by the fish gods and will be rewarded as you keep on fishing.
[signature]
[#008000]Nice report Vivid-Dawn ![/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Combine this kind of weather pattern and this time of year, it can be tough fishing on Willard. [/#008000]
[#008000][/#008000]
[#008000]Glad you enjoyed the storm. [/#008000]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Ow! Ow! Ow![/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]It is painful to read of your fruitless quest for the elusive fishies.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]You need to ditch Eeyore and use this guy as your mascot.[/#0000ff]
[url "http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bHJ2NBlKRDoAfZmjzbkF/SIG=12c59o9nd/EXP=1243252214/**http%3A//www.its-ming.com/2000/image2000/animal/skunk1.jpg"][Image: skunk1.jpg][/url]
[signature]
We must have been fishing next to each other out there. My Dad and I were in a white starcraft with a walk through windshield. I would think that if you had some planer boards and just trolled crank baits the wipers would hit them? We were using bottom bouncers with worm harnesses and did okay. It's hard to troll bottom bouncers and anything else. Speed is key for each lure you're fishing with and crank baits action isn't the best at speeds which work well with bottom bouncers. If you're looking to catch walleye's I'd troll all bottom bouncers with worm harnesses this time of year. We caught wipers on the bouncers but as aggressive as they hit I would think that trolling crank baits about 2 - 2.5 mph depending on the action of the crank baits would do well. Just my 2 pennies. It was a great day out there wasn't it?
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]No kidding!

Maybe I should start wearing my Pepe Le Pew pajamas on fishing trips... wouldn't it be ironic, if those ended up being my good luck charm? LOL

[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]
[font "Courier New"][#000080][size 3]Planer boards are evil! LOL Fish N Coach tried to show me how to use them last year, and I kept fumbling...so I just gave up. Maybe I just need more practice.

We figured we'd just try a bit of everything, and see what works. Apparently the jig worked for Wipers! But we wanted Walleyes... and yes, I know that it's common to catch Walleye by accident, when you're after something else.
In fact, the Walleye was caught on a jig too...just the head, with a worm attached as the body.
[/size][/#000080][/font]
[signature]