Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview 19-22 May
Had our first PV camp'n with lots of fish'n trip this past week. Each day we spent approx 7-8 hours on the water. Here's how it went down.

Water temp back in the bays averaged 67* in the afternoon. Along steeper shorelines average was 64*.

Water color is stained to tea color as there's alot of runoff still happening.

Rec boaters were really light but started to pick up on Friday. But not bad at all. I know it's early.

Pineview is close to if not at full pool hardly any visible shoreline except the usual swim areas and those shorelines are almost totally under water with very little beach/sand area exposed.

Now for the fish'n.

Arrived at Anderson Cove around 1PM Tuesday afternoon waited out the rain showers and got on the water at about 3pm. Fish'n partner got the first TM of the season a little 27 incher.

This was the 'only' TM to be caught on this trip. And believe you me we worked all the lures Cranks, Spinners, Spoons. Including variety of sizes of these lures. Every color we had. Worked all water depths...shallow, medium, and deep. We short line trolled and long line trolled including prop wash trolled. As we trolled 3 lines I'd cast the shore lines not even the hint of a bump. Most of the time we trolled 3-4 lines (each of us has a 2-pole license) each line with a different lure running different depths. The 27 incher was the only TM that wanted to play and have a photo op.

Fish'n partner researched the fish'n log and May hasn't been a good month for TM fish'n for us at least over the past 4 years of her keeping logs. I know they can be caught but the water temp is still a little cold plus there is a plethera of bait fish to feed on.

In addition to fish'n for TM each morning we'd dedicate approx 2-3 hours trying to find Crappie and nothing. Again worked all the little jigs under a bobber, without a bobber, slow retreive and dead sticking. No Crappie at all. We worked Spring Creek area, Geeresten Bay, other areas with submerged brush no Crappie. Only Crappie we did see were two on their last hours floating on the surface.

Now the only fish that managed to find our lures consistently were PV Browns (Carp). And we caught 12 of them things. The last afternoon Friday we couldn't even get our troll lines out before one of us had a Carp slam the lure. These fish weren't foul hooked they chased down any type of crank and actually bit it. Nice little fight though but not the fish we're after.

So as for Pineview fish'n water is very high, color is stained...and like I said, hardly any shoreline to speak of. Fish'n wasn't the best and I'd say give it another week or two as the water is still cold IMHO. Any type of decent access to shoreline fish'n probably won't be possible until late June or early July. And that all hinges on how fast they let the water out.

Anyhoo at least we were out doing what we love to do and that would be camp'n with lots of fish'n. We know there's a full season ahead of us and the fish'n will pick up and get better.

So with the above being said I sure hope you all had a great holiday weekend and hoping you had fun with any activity you did. [Smile] [Smile]
[signature]
Thanks much for the great report K2. Boy, if you guys are working that hard to catch a musky and only come up with one in so many hours, guys like me could spend all month for one.

Thanks again for the good details and info. A couple weeks ought to start to turn them on better.
[signature]