Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Motels near Nephi of Provo?
Im travelling from Calif to Flaming Gorge and looking for a recommendation for a motel/hotel to stop at and break up the long drive, eat dinner, and stay overnight.

Im pulling my boat so I will need boat parking, the more secure, the better.

Id like to be about 3-4 hrs from Buckboard so I can pull out early and then be fishing by 7am or so. Nephi or Provo looks about right on the map but any recommendation is welcome.

Also, any info on Flaming Gorge is welcome- water temp and how far along the smallmouth are with spawning ( I'll be fishing for smallmouth)

Thanks
[signature]
There is a hotel and a flying J in nephi icant remember if its a best western or not i will find out for you tonite.
[signature]
Provo would be in your 3-4 hour window. Depending on the time of day, Heber would be even better, as long as you didn't have to run the canyon at night.
I assume you are going to go up Provo Canyon and through Heber. If you are instead going to go up Parley's Canyon, which is I-80 out of Salt Lake City, then I would suggest stopping in Lehi (North of Provo). This way you can run into Cabelas and load up on your gear. There are a couple of new and pretty nice hotels across the freeway from Cabelas, but I think they may be a bit pricey. There is a Fairfield Inn (Mariott) just north of Lehi in Draper that I have done some work on, and it is pretty nice. The rooms there were about 80.00/night.
[signature]
Super 8 in Nephi. Provo and northward has several.
[signature]
I hadn't thought about going thru Provo canyon- looks like a lot shorter route - how much do you figure that cuts off the drive to go that way?

Its tempting to go to Cabela's - we dont have one down here and Im like a kid in a candy store when I get in there.

Its looking like Super 8 or Best Western in Nephi would be a good choice.

Thanks for all the replies. Thanks for all the replies.
[signature]
Best western is right off I-15 and next to flying j.
[signature]
I don't know if Provo Canyon saves a whole lot of time, but it is not as steep as Parley's, not as busy, and Parley's Canyon has construction going on right now. They have done a pretty good job as to not effect traffic too bad, but you never know.
[signature]
If you are fishing for smallmouth I would go up Provo canyon and stop and spend half a day @ Jordanelle, you won't be disappointed.
[signature]
Do you have any recommendation or ideas for motels in Heber?

looks like there is a Holiday Inn Express but its pricey - over $100. any info is appreciated
[signature]
I'm not sure the name but there is a tiny motel on the edge of town, heading toward Strawberry, that is on the other side of the price range you are talking about($30-$40) I'm sure we could get the name of that place if your interested but it is by no means plush. Hopefully the other guys will have some other ideas. By the way, welcome to the site. WH2
[signature]
call Brandon at best western in Provo..a couple of miles from provo canyon.... he will set you up with a good rate and its a very clean motel and highly rated. He will love talking fishing at the gorge with you as he and I go there when we can to fish for lake trout.
[signature]
by the way Brandon grew up in Tracy california so he knows how to speak californian. Will probably want to tell you salmon fishing stories from Monterey. He is the luckiest kid I know when it comes to catching fish. Whole boat of party fishing and no one catches fish but him and his brother he almost limits out the boat with his brother.

They were cheering for him at first but after boating seven or eight fish they were plotting to throw him overboard. good thing he is 6 foot 5 and a big boy.

Yea he's my kid and Im proud of him and his brother, they can both outfish me, but I tell better lies than they do so I make up for it.
[signature]