Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stanley area question
I am heading up to Stanley this coming weekend, and wondering if anyone has done some fishing in that area lately. I just can't decide if I want to go for lake trout on Stanley lake, or hit one of the beautiful alpine lakes near there. I have heard there is good grayling to be had in the many alpine puddles.

Any thoughts/advice would be appreciated.
[signature]
dress warm, you can check what lakes have grayling planted in them on this site. [url "http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/stream_nam.cfm"]http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/apps/stocking/stream_nam.cfm[/url]
I couldnt tell you how many are frozen over still, I would guesse most. I have hiked to sawtooth lake over 4th of july to find it frozen still.
[signature]
Have you fished Stanley before for mackinaws? I don't know if you are asking about how the fishing is typically, or just a current report. Mike
[signature]
Might be a bit early still for any of the hike in alpine lakes near Stanley. Based on the Lowman Ranger district's website, Bull Trout Lake was still inaccessible due to snow through Memorial Day weekend.

2 years ago I camped near Stanley and fished the Salmon River mainly below Lower Stanley on Memorial Day weekend. The fishing in the river was excellent for Steelhead smolts and an occasional large Bull Trout. The dredge ponds up on the Yankee Fork were also well stocked with 10-12 inch Rainbows. One lake you might consider trying that's further downstream from the Yankee Fork and up off the E. Fork of the Salmon is Jimmy Smith lake. You can drive in fairly close but then have to hike in about a half mile to the lake. It's quite a bit lower elevation than Stanley, so I'm sure the snow has melted by now. When I was there two years ago, the fishing was good for 12-13 inch Rainbows but there always that chance you might hook into a carryover from last year's plantings.
[signature]
I was looking for a current report or any advice about typical fishing in the area.

I have only fly fished around the area, and around Challis. But the word on the street is that there are lake trout spawning in Stanley lake. I was hoping to confirm or deny. Perhaps the fishing stories I hear are simply going to by head!

Thanks for the help,
[signature]
lake trout spawn in the fall but the cutts are getting ready to spawn, if you can get into some of the mt lakes that have them they will be piled up at the inlets.
[signature]
Jigs is correct; the macs are not spawning at this time. However, it is a good time for fishing for them. It would help if you have downriggers. Only a small portion of the lake is hospitable to mackinaw, since most of the lake is too shallow. A large hootchie, baited, or a big flatfish in a color that mimics kokanee, should produce. Keep it within three feet of the bottom, and troll slow. Above all, remember that this is a fragile fishery. Please keep the macs in the water if possible, and don't net them. Many of the fish in there are in the mid-teens, and since they are a slow grower, that takes a long time to put that much weight on. It would only take a few greedy fishermen to wipe them out, due to the size of the lake. They aren't planting them in there. Besides, most macks are awful tasting!!! Good luck, and remember to post your results. Mike
[signature]
Thanks for the help Mike. I agree, as always, catch and release only. I will let everyone know how it goes.
[signature]
[sly]take plenty of pics. its gods country up there
[signature]