Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What lure was he using?
So I went fishing after work the other night at a local lake here in NY: not much luck. Threw everything out there and only landed one small bass (1 - 2lbs) on a spinnerbait.
A guy came out in his kyack quickly landing 2 bragging sized pickerel within 1 minute of eachother on some kind of topwater he was throwing. It was large, prob 5 inches or more, had what seemed to be a firetiger color, but was flashy; almost metalic finish. It also emitted a fairly large splash, clacking, gurgling sound when he quickly jerked it across the water: almost mimicking an injured fish exactly. He was using a very fast retreive and making a lot of surface noise.
He asked me if I was having any luck and told me to throw some topwaters stating: "Now's the time." It was around 630 in the evening and the water was fairly calm. He threw the bait another couple times and pulled out another smaller pickerel, no bass though.
I threw out every topwater I have with no results. I was also onshore and he was more near the main channel of an inlet on the lake.
What was he using? I've looked everywhere and the closest thing I can think of is some kind of Zara spook but they have nothing in that metalic firetiger color, nor do they make a splash or noise quite like he had: must have been a large indent on the front of the lure to splash the water in that manner...
Any ideas? How did he pull those fish out so fast?
[signature]
The first thing that comes to mind is an Arbogast Jitterbug, there are different versions of the topwater bait but the way you describe it makes it sound exactly like it.
[signature]
did it look like a large minnow imitation with helecopyer blades on the front and back...i can see this lure in my mind but just cant think of the name..itll will come to me..
[signature]
A devil horse?
[signature]
im still not quite sure myself..i know its a wooden lure and my dad and alot of the the older folks had one in there tackle box..right next to the hulla poppers and jitterbugs..i think it was made by hedden tackle co..
[signature]
Yep if its made by hedden its a devil horse! an oldie but a goodie
[signature]
yes it definitely looked like some sort of a minnow imitation. It was long and tube-like: I don't think it had any helecopter blades that I could see. I should have asked him but I didn't want to yell across the lake.
[signature]
i thank you alot..its been bugging me for two days now..i can picture the lure like it was right in front of me and couldnt think of the name..thats what happens when you get older..
[signature]
they wouldnt be big enough to see for sure from that distance..there made of metal and attach to the front and back of the lure..with screws..about 1 inch in diameter..they use this lure for pike and muskey alot..
[signature]
No problem, glad that i could help. I used to use those alot right at sunset and pound the bass with them. after they stopped hitting that i would tie on a black jointed jitterbug and i would be back in business.
[signature]
awesome, I'll have to give it a try out there and see what happens. I'm going to Cabela's in a week or two and it will be on my list!
[signature]
heres a pic of a lure like i was talking about...
[signature]
Yep thats a Devil Horse all right! [cool]
[signature]
the body is more torpedo shaped than i remember butt the blades are the same..they call yhis one the dyeing flutter,,?..close enough to get the idea
[signature]