Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RoadRunner Jigs
[cool]Hey, folks. I am currently doing research on different kinds of records for fishies...in preparation for putting together a NEW record classification for "flotation fishing" records...float tubes, pontoons, kayaks, etc. I found a great pic of a 24# wiper, taken in Oklahoma, on a RoadRunner jig like I make and play with. Those babies work. Most of my bigger fish of several species have been taken on the deadly RR.

[Image: Paul_Hollister.jpg]

Anybody "tackled up" for a wiper this size?

TubeDude
[signature]
that is one fat fish i just bought a couple RR any suggesrions how to make them run straight the ones i bought run at about 4:00 when coming right at you

chris
[signature]
[cool]Hey, waterguy. RoadRunners are good for a lotta things, but running a true horizontal ain't one of them. The drag created by the spinner tends to make the hook ride higher than the front end. Does that adversely affect the action and performance? I don't know many people who think so. It is just different than the inline spinners we are more accustomed to. In fact, a lot of RR fans believe that the different look and the different vibration often works better.

I use RRs for vertical jigging and bottom bouncing probably more than I do for cast and retrieve, Having that flashy blade on a jig, while you are jigging it up and down...or periodically "shivver lifting" it...often draws fish to the area through the flash and vibration. I make most of mine as "bait bugs" and usually have a piece of crawler or fish on the hook to "close the deal".

I have been experimenting with different artificial trailers and addons, besides bait. I recently ran a post on using craft felt, in different colors. Small pork strips work well too. I am just setting up to try 1" and 2" tubes, hooked through the nose, as jiggly wiggly trailers. I have already proven that small twisters work...especially the triple cut tail models.

Here's a pic of the colors I use the most. I also make them up in the traditional marabou, and with different hairs (squirrel is great), but didn't have any pics to show.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0861516.jpg]

If I am trolling or casting, and want a weighted spinner that runs more horizontally, I use my "in-line" series that I pour on regular "minnow" jig heads...with a piece of spinner wire. I also make "regular" spinners, using single hooks instead of trebles. I seem to get just as good of hooking, and large fish tend to stay on better with the single hooks.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage1028000.jpg]

This last pic shows some spinners and RRs I make for fishing plastics. Of course, they also work well for fishing whole crawlers...with or without a stinger hook...and whole dead minnows...without the "baitbug" decorations.

[Image: SCOU1712CustomImage0876570.jpg]

The RoadRunner name is trademarked by the Blakemore company, and they cannot be sold commercially. However, you can buy the molds to make "Pony Heads"...in both barbed collar and non barbed styles for tying jigs. If anyone is interested, I have instructional writeups on making this style jig...as well as basic jig pouring, painting, eyeing, etc. PM me and I'll shoot over what you want.

TubeDude
[signature]