Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I 80 pond . (report )
Well I didn't knock them dead after work but caught about 10 Lm bass and 8 gills . Fish were all small , but did get a toad to come up and eat my bobber when I was fishing the gills . It was a nice fight until he spit it out . LOL . Took my tube up there but the weeds are thick and hard to get around in . I think It might of saved me thru the wind gust because my feet were tangled in the weed beds . Got a buddy from work into a 10 " bass on a popin R . Now I got him hooked . LOL
[signature]
sounds like you did okay to me. wish i could hook into a bunch of bucket mouths and gills.
[signature]
Were the BG big? Where is I 80 pond anyway? I wouldn't mind catching some BG's thier great fun on ultra light tackle[Smile].

Al
[signature]
hey al the ponds are west of saltair palace on i-80 you can park at the rest area and walk down to them

chris
[signature]
Only big one (largemouth)I had ate my bobber and it gave me quite the ride for about 20 seconds . I thought that I might bring him in but no hook on my bobber , no chance . Those fish are smart and have seen lots of things throwing at them . Top water is a good choice because of all the weed growth . Most of the bass I caught were only 8" to 4 " last night . No wall mounters . The gills are fun to hook if the big bass are not in the mood .

Grasshoppers were thick in there . Might be the bait to use if you can drop it on there noses .

Does anybody ever fish Stansberry Park ? I hook a nice LM out of there , but do not know anyone living there anymore .

What is a BG ?
[signature]
BG my abreviation for bluegill. Are those ponds located near salt lake state park?

Al
[signature]
Man I should of been able to figure that out . LOL !! Bluegills are small with some about 6" . But lots of them . Someone told me down there to fish black flies but have not tried it yet . I was using those little jigs called trout magnets . Nomoose turn me on to them at the fish and feed and now I got stock in them . He He !! Caught bigger gills ,perch ,crappie and bass on them at Pineview .Opps did I let out my secret or what . good luck !!!!!!!

The pond is 2 or 3 miles west on I 80 from the Great Salt lake marina .
[signature]
Well since I couldn't afford to go far this weekend I went back to I-80 pond tonight . got there about 6:30 pm and fished for the Gills . Caught about 12 of them on a small black jig with a few small LM bass . Got closer to sundown so I switch to a buzzbait and nailed 8 nice LM bass with some of the biggest ones I hooked only to get off . Had a blast and got a few pics but need to use the rest of the film . Top water is king !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Make note : need to bring beefer rod next time . Lifes great when you can hook a few !!!!! Biggest Landed was 14" and maybe 2 or 2.5 pounds . They are chunky .
[signature]
What buzzbait were you using? Was it the type that looks like a spiner bait or the inline?

Al
[signature]
This is the lure that I had success with . These fish have seen it all . Just got to catch the small ones before the big one gets a chance to have at it . LOL

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0447688.jpg]

Buzzbait , not sure what name it has . Good luck
[signature]
I recently moved here to utah from down south- (florida) and am looking for some decent places to bass fish. Ive pulled some 6's out of Holmes creek but am looking for some new spots as well. I was hoping you could help me figure out exactly where the i 80 ponds are on the map. I can see a couple ponds across the street from the saltair. Are those them? Thanks. Tightlines
[signature]
As you are heading west on I-80 and just before you reach the Tooele exit there is a small pull out. Park there and walk back to the east.
[signature]
Thank you for your help. Me and my buddies are trying to beat the state record this summer [Wink] Closest we've gotten was 7lbs 4 ounces two weeks ago. Are there any other noteworthy Largemouth bass lakes besides Holmes, mantua, pelican, quail, and sandhollow. Thanks again. Tighlines
[signature]
Include utah lake ive pulled a few out of their around s 6lbs but ive seen pics of much bigger lm, also ive seen a few pics of nice lm out of hyrum too, newton has lm also but ive only caught them around 12" their not sure if they get that big their because the farmers use alot of the water in the summer months.
[signature]
Thanks so much for the help. Utah's bass have been pretty fun to catch. They seem to fight harder than florida bass but I have no idea why. Ive also noticed you really need to downsize baits. It doesnt make since to me, but I don't catch much unless I'm using baits under 6 inches [crazy]Even though I know they are eating 8+ inch trout
-side note, that is a freaking massive mak in your profile pic
[signature]
[#0000FF]The I-80 ponds are not likely to produce a record bass...and you will be lucky to catch anything. Not much going on there the past couple of years and the access is difficult after all the highway work.

I haven't even heard of anybody catching bluegills there for a long time.

[/#0000FF]
[signature]
I'm not sure how much good it does to revive an 11-year-old thread. The info - and every fish that was alive then - is now moribund.
[signature]
I noticed nobody mentioned lake powell on your bass list. Probably the best spot for several spieces
[signature]
I fished powell for a week a while ago. I caught tons of smallmouth fishing for largemouth but most of everything I was catching was small (less than 5) I lost one nice greenback on the jump though, beautiful fish. Plus it is such a massive lake. I'm sure I will fish it again though.
[signature]
Nice catch on pointing out the age of the thread.