Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another fly fishing rpt.
Just being different(fly fishing rpt.) - couldn't fish still water for bass, too windy for float tubing, so went to the Weber again yesterday. Caught a lot of good size whiteys again, had a few browns on and did my "pro release". Had a good time with Bud, a little tougher than last time but can't complain about the results. Water more clear and found out I had to put more weight on to get good results in high/fast water to make sure it was on the bottom and slowed down a bit. Still windy but didn't get pushed off by lightning and rain this time.

Want to go to Jordanelle for the smalleys with my tube! When the heck should I go? Weather forcast doesn't look good for several days. It's probably windy at Mantua too. Might have to try some shore fishing for wippers at Willard!!! Maybe I could find a few by luck.

[crazy][crazy]Leaky
Wanted to hit Jordanelle myself today or at least this evening . Run into some bad times today so I'm stuck at home . I can't believe all the rain I've had at my house . Nice break in the weather , from the heat . To bad its windy too . Leaky do you fish any case caddis patterns on the Weber ? I always done good with them . Good luck on them wipers if you go .
[signature]
Hells,

Nope, I pretty much stick to what has worked best for me. I predominately use nymphs - favorites are prince, haire's ear, rubber legged haire's ear, gray scud. I've used others but these have been the best producers for me, especially the "prince". Probably should expand my horizons, huh? In the winter I use caddis larva tipped with a wax worm but you have to be careful where you fish it since a wax worm is a bait. Hope your "bad times" aren't too bad!

[crazy]Leaky
The cased caddis is a nymph . I look around and see if I can find a pic . That kind a fishing (nymphing) is what I use to do a lot of . Do you ty your own flys ? It is a easy pattern .
[signature]
Hells,

Take it easy on an old guy, ok? LOL. I just didn't read close. I know the cased caddis - and it produces results at the right time of year, and maybe even later. Don't get missled by my mouth. I realy don't know that much about fly fishing!!! I just have my favorites with no imagination. LOL LOL .

[Tongue][angelic]Leaky
well, as for jordenelle, it has been pretty rainy or at least sprinkling all day for a few days. if you dont mind the drissle you could get out ther in the daytime and evening, the wind has not ben too bad up here lately. hope i could help ya out.
[signature]
Where were you fishing. See my post Pineview - Weber - Uintahs for a laugh of a lifetime. I'm not familiar with the Weber , it is the Weber between Rockport and Coalville (Echo) isn't it?
[signature]
Moose,

Yep, yep, you're my kind of guy - sense of humor. Never take fun too seriously! Yep, I was fishing between Coalvile and Rockport using the available fish ladders so I wouldn't get in trouble. Most of the entire river is decent fishing but a lot of the river below Morgan is private. Another popular area is around Devil's slide but it's a little too popular for me.

About those suckers. I have recently been trying to catch a big one so I can eat it to see if folks are just prejudice. I have learned that 90 % of folks are prejudice without much foundation on many fish, i.e. white fish. They are some of the finest eating fish around. Beat the heck out ot trout. He, He! That'll start things going. Fillet em, cut the bones out(easy) and they are great!!! Of course, I like fresh,cold water carp so that kind of describes me. LOL Can't beat smalleys, LMB, and walleys though unless it's a bunch of good size yellow perch fillets.

How the heck did I get stated on this? Oh well, maybe I can get something started on misconceptions of table value of certain fish. Do you think?

[crazy][crazy][crazy]Leaky
oops, sorry,

Got my stories mixed up. "nomoose" - for the suckers

Leaky
Here is a few caddis patterns for the Weber or most any stream in Utah .

[Image: LOOM5874CustomImage0425488.jpg]
[signature]
Hells,

Which pattern has worked best for you? What about time of year? Have you tried making the white thread bulkier with maybe a fuzzy material? Obviously, I don't tie flys. The bottom right has worked but I still have to add a wax worm to really get them going. Admittedly, I have'nt tried several of the others.

Leaky
ohhhh i like those!

sm
[signature]
I never have tried using bait on a fly . I would most likely cast it off . LOL I have done good with all of these at any time of year . I prefer smaller stuff in the winter , but one 27" big brown I keep because it was bleeding had large cased caddis(about size 8) in his gut in march . Chamios caddis is one of my all time favorite . I sometimes tie it in reverse so the head is at the bend of the hook . With the cased caddis the deer hair helps keep the tail section up . I believe I read it somewhere that caddis will migrate downstream at any time of the year . When they migrate they travel with there head down . The Weber is full of them . I preferred the upper section of the weber , but have hooked some nice ones all thru the weber . I have had many 40 plus fish day on the weber and right now can be very good time to fish it . Just got to figure out which fly is the right pattern on some days .

Fuzzy patterns are out there . Sparkling caddis pupa is one that I think of when you say ty a bulkier pattern . Have you ever fished a dry fly caddis like the elk hair caddis . I like to take it underwater at the end of the drift . To imitate a egg laying of some species do . Hang on tight !!!!!!!!
[signature]
Hells,

I guess I'm kind of a lazy fly fisherman. I don't fly fish that much other than the winter and stick to the high percentage method of nymph fishing. I much prefer not to use wax worms if I can get reasonable production without besides being illegal above Echo. It's somehing I tried many years ago and found it quite successful but now am doing just fine without so I seldom use them, only when friends and relatives are after some fish for cooking up. I use them to make sure I catch their fish and switch over when I've caught their fish. As far as the drys - I've probably had some of the best fun taking browns and rainbow on hoppers from the surface in Montana and Colo. several years ago, but I guess I've become lazy, have some in the tackle box but -------.

Keep in touch, good fihing - [Wink]Leaky