Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
upper weber/middle provo
would like to know the basic flys for both of these sections if ayone could.

also basic size ranges would be great also. thanks for any and all help
[signature]
I have been using a size 16 Tungsten Bead Head Pheasant Tail and dropping a WD 40 Tungsten Bead Head on both rivers and have done well. Hope this helps out!
Good Luck
[signature]
I was on the weber today near coalville small pink egg pattern and a black & green wd-40 were getting strikes all day.
[signature]
Best wet flies for these two rivers are #18 pheasant tail, #18 Prince, grey scuds or sow bugs, zebra midge, and rainbow warriors.

I have one other bug that KILLS them on the Weber, but I think I'll keep that one to myself. [:p]

Good luck!!
[signature]
Don't forget the hare's ear size 16-18 and the copper john 14-18. I have done well with all the flies fish posted, especially with them in a bead head flashback. If you can't catch a trout you will catch a whitefish! Small black zebra midges and sowbugs are usually the ticket for me until it really warms up. I think I have the same secret fly you are talking about fish!![Wink] I usually use a attractor on the top (rainbow warrior, lightning bug) and then one of the other flies listed on the bottom. Good luck!
[signature]
People above have mentioned great flies. Some killer knowledge to have is what insects are hatching at the time. You can find hatch charts for many local rivers on the net. There's a few here: http://stoneflysociety.org/hatchcharts.htm
Once you know what's hatching you can fish with flies to match those insects. For instance Pale Morning Duns (PMD) will be starting soon. These are mayflies in a light yellow color. This hatch usually starts in the afternoon. Having flies that imitate the whole life cycle of a mayfly will give you an advantage. Hours before the hatch starts you can start fishing a PMD nymph. The nymphs will swim up the water column and you can start fishing an emerger right below the surface. Once you see fishing rising and see the adults on the water it's dry fly time. So just have flies ready for all the possible bugs and you'll be set! Size wise, most of my flies are 16-20, some bigger some smaller.

Here's some killer flies:
Sow bug, Pheasant tail, Hares Ear, Copper Johns, Wd-40, RS2, Rainbow Warrior, Prince, San Juan Worms, Hares Ear Soft Hackle, BWO/PMD soft hackle, Zebra, Barr's Emerger, Parachute Adams, BWO thorax, PMD thorax, Stimulator (awesome on the upper), Elk Hair Caddis, Assorted Ants and Hoppers, etc.

Having those in varying sizes and BH versions will give you a great start! You can never have to many flies.

^^ike
[signature]
thats an awesome website! main reason i want to know is, theres a place here that will tie them literally for pennies per fly, and i want to make one gigantic bulk order... as of right now i will never have to buy another prince nymph, red,green,chart, or copper, copper john, for the rest of my life.
[signature]
Size 18 bh Hare's ear trailing a size 18 WD-40 in black or olive. Always put the weight below the flies and drift as slowly as you can. Chamois caddis should be deadly as well so don't overlook them. If you are fishing the lower Provo inside of town then size 16 prince should be deadly. Those are the nymphs and the dry to have in the early pm is a size 16 elk hair caddis.
[signature]
i have been experimenting with elk hair foamy caddis and have been having some luck, cnat wait to get back to Utash, 84 days left here!
[signature]