Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fly reel spinning rod???
ok so I had a new thought

would I be able to, in a fashion, fly fish with regular technique with a fly reel on a spinning rod. I know it is not the "right" way to do it but can I do it??? I would like to get into fly fishing but I don't have the cash for a complete set up, I do have a few spinning rods thought and I could spare one to convert to a "learning" model fly rod by getting a new reel. I also fish on very small streams so i don't need a ton of distance. Am I being stupid or is this a possible stepping stone to them move to full fly fishing set up when I am not so broke [blush]
thanks

peace
[signature]
[font "Calibri"][Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hi Jim I'm sure others will have their own ideas on this subject but I would forget about putting a fly reel on a spinning rod at this time as it is really a storage container for your line. If money is a big factor you could always spring for a starter kit. Those kits include rod, reel, line, some flies, perhaps a dvd etc. They run fron $50 & up. You won't be getting the state of art stuff but at least you have a place to start. Another suggestion would be to check out the auction site at[/size][/#008000][/font] : [url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/auctions_fishing/fly_fishing/Index.html"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/auctions_fishing/fly_fishing/Index.html[/url][/font]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Good deals can always be found on rods, reel etc. Good luck.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Well, when you don't have the money to do it up right, the spinning rod method works just fine. Eagle Claw used to market a 7' rod with "rings" instead of a full reel seat, just for such purpose.

The action in those rods was usually too light for anything more serious than stream brookies, but I've used mine a number of times. It's a good tool to teach yourself how to cast properly. If you can suceed with that rod, a real fly rod is going to be a breeze to master.
Id go with a bubble fly rig... you use your spinning rod as it sits.. so no investment there... tie on a small swivel to the current line.. use smaller wt line from the swivel to the fly.. put a [url "http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_1797____SearchResults"]bubble[/url] (similar to this or the moree common one that is more of an egg shape) above the swivel.. and cast..

MacFly
[signature]
I am going to echo Mc and DR on this. Spinning rods are not designed to present the line, even Those COMBO sets never work for the ff end. The guides are TOO big and there are not enough.
There are short Fly Rods, but again, there are more SMALLER guides and the are placed to create very little friction, so you can load the fly line.
I am assuming you are talking FLY REEL and FLY LINE. In this case I say NO. Oh sure you can probably catch fish like this, but so will a stick and a string.

IT IS NOT FLY FISHING.

Putting a fly on a spinning outfit is fishing a fly, but not fly fishing.

If you are talking using a fly reel with mono on a spinning outfit... well that is still a spinning outfit with a funky reel.

You want to learn to FLY FISH you need the gear and that is all there is to it. You DON'T need to break the bank on gear though. I will say, the line is the most important thing.

FG
[signature]
true... using the bubble fly method is fishing a fly on a spinning rig.. but.. as was my case.. it is a way to use a fly to see if you like it.. and gives time to save up a bit for your first fly outfit..

remember.. my first fly outfit was the shakespeare rig and everything (rod, reel, flies, flyline, backing, leader) cost me 20.00 at wallyworld.. and have to say I beat that rig good.. and its like a Timex.. takes a licking and keeps on ticking... but.. I know these rigs have gone up in price to 50 - 60 dollars..

point being.. until he is able to afford a decent setup the bubble fly may be a good alternative for him to use.. but.. as you said sis..

dont put a fly reel with any kind of line (fly or mono) on a spinning rig.. its not the same and it aint gonna work right.. [Smile]

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
Heay, I was agreeing with you....[Wink]
You have been there and done this. It has been MANY MANY years since I have even had a spinning rod in hand.
[signature]
check out this link .. [url "http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=332381&kwtid=236947"]Sportsmans Guide[/url] ...

MacFly
[signature]
I know..and if it were not for you Id have one back in my hand again.. :-)...

MacFly
[signature]
well I guess the point has been made and with a $30 starter kit I dont think I really have a reason not to at least try with the right equipment (even a cheep one is better deal then a half ass rig) [fishin]

much thanks
[signature]
glad we could help.. the only thing you owe us is pictures with story of the fish you catch.. [Smile]

btw.. a bubble fly rig is not a half ass rig .. its just a different way to fish with a fly.. :-)

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Well we have a good discusion going here with several different view points. I really don't think that bubble fishing with a fly is in the same arena as fly fishing. I also don't think that it will give one the feel of fly fishing in the tradition method versus that of casting a chunk of plastic with a fly attached. Fly fishing is a total different experience than any other sort of fishing and doesn't have an equal.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
I never said it was the same.. nor a replacement for fly fishing in the traditional sense.. all I am saying is that bubble fly lets you use the fly to fish instead of other lures or attractants.. and for me was a good way to start looking at fly fishing as "THE" way to fish..

bubble fly can be very cumbersome.. and noisy in the sense of water "noise" and "splash" on the water.. in fact.. the first time tn2 and I met up I was using bubble fly and just kept feeling like I was scaring more fish than attracting them.. and I only had the bubble about 1/3 full of water.. that was when I decided to stay with fly fishing.. of course I did fall off the fly fishing wagon at Laguna Niguel when I tangled up my fly line so bad (remember. ... first time tubing) that I switched to my spinning rig... and still did not catch anyfish... LOL>..

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4][Image: happy.gif]Learning to fly fish & tubing for the first time was a tall order for anyone. Knew that it was your first time tubing but I thought that you were an accomplished flyman. [Image: bobwink.gif] Really didn't pay any attention to what you were doing although I should have and perhaps I could have offered a suggestion or two to ease your pain. Hey but it was a fun day any way.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
lol.. it was a blast to say the least.. and the tangle was my fault... should of taken smaller steps... and as they say...now I know better...

MacFly [cool]
[signature]
[blush] Well I do tend to like to jump into things and you are all very persuasive so I got an starter kit on the way home form work, tied all the lines in ( it needs better fly line ... looks like plastic feels like wax .... I think I can do better but correct me if I am wrong) and took it to the river. It was a lot of fun, I did not hook anything but shrubs and the like but no mater ( i did finish the night with my spinning gear and got a small brookie) I looked goofy and awkward but had fun. my 2 questions now are 1 on my false casts the line looks good until i "real cast" then i keep hitting the water on the back cast or drop all my line in the same place front rather than lay it out on the water why???

second and in true rookie fashion when I am using the reel after I strip the line and say, hook a fish, what way should the handle turn...... to the front or to the back??? I think I spooled my line backward (If that's possible) i hold the rod with the right and reel with my left if that maters.

I can re-post this in casting tec and the such if some one thinks it better

much thanks
peace [fishin]
[signature]
I'm going to offer a slightly different suggestion.

First off, I side more with Mac on this than with the others. A bubble & fly rig on your spinning rod will at least give you the idea of what it's like to catch a fish on a fly. It is not, as others have said, quite the same as traditional flyfishing. But it's a start.

Where I really differ, however, is with the idea of buying cheap equipment to learn on. It's not the best route to go, because you are just as likely to become turned off to flyfishing when you can't accomplish the basic tasks.

What I suggest, instead, is that you buy the materials to build your own rod. That will cost you a little more than the el cheapo kits. But you'll 1. have a rod that you're really proud of, and, 2. you will learn why a fly rod is what it is.

Once the rod is built, you can then invest in an inexpensive reel (the reel, in most flyfishing, really is unimportant), and a mid-range line that won't set you back a whole lot.

You'll then be ready to learn flyfishing with the right equipment. And when you catch your first fish on a rod you built yourself, well, there's no other high like it.

Brook
[signature]
[Image: happy.gif][font "Garamond"][#008000][size 4]Hey Brook that is assuming one is crafty enough to build their own equipment. I hate to be crude but if someone suggested that in order to save money I should build my own rod, I would still be playing with my bait caster or spinning gear. I know several people that still have their first rod & reel purchases and they work just fine. I have a question regarding your statement [#800080]" It's not the best route to go, because you are just as likely to become turned off to fly fishing when you can't accomplish the basic tasks".[/#800080] And what basic tasks might you be referring to? BTW for the first 10 years fly fishing I stayed with the same rod and reel. A 6 wt Fenwick Eagle and a S&A System 4-6 reel. Then I discovered Bob Marriotts and the rest is history. My comments are not to nit pick yours Brook but to let someone new to the sport see all sides of the issue.[/size][/#008000][/font]
[signature]
Brook I really like the idea of the build you own, I love to use my hands and create, I did not know that was even and option. The rod I got is a pflueger 8' 5/6 weight rod. I think I will use it to learn and beat on while I try to build my own. I tend to be a realist and know that a cheep set up will be more difficult then a good set up so when things are tough going I don't get to bent by it because I know that some of the limitation is the gear and so will not be looking for perfection from it. To reference an earlier post a cheep set up being better that a half ass one ( I meant half ass as in the patching together a fly reel and line on a UL spinning rod) This should get me hungerier to get better and there in builting away at my very own, now that I have the reel that came with the set up. [Smile]

peace
[signature]
You could also check out yard sales. Got to hit them way early though
[signature]