Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tube-Cam Boom Maiden Voyage
First video and stills from new tube cam.
Video and pics are from a trip on Lough Owel, Ireland on a very calm evening.

The boom is 4mm carbon fibre rod, for model making, or kites, reset from straight into a bolt of lightning shape.

The propane flame, tie bend with soft carbon roving twine, and harden joint with thin viscosity cyano superglue to reset ( method shown in the earlier thread about a composite rodrest ) did the job.

A piece of ply is epoxied to the end, some fibreglass cloth added forstrength, and one of those camera adjustable knurled screws inserted.

The low camera location makes for striking shots, but it wouldn't be such a bright choice on a rough way where the pitch and roll of my tube might dunk my non-waterproof canon.
So I'll roll up another boom along the same lines, but with an adjustable angle mount, so all conditions can be catered for.

Note the dual use of rod tray as lunch tray!
[signature]
Nice work! A very different approach from what I've seen so far.

The video was a tease though. I wanted to see you catch a fish! I love how you were able to switch from filming yourself to filming the water.
[signature]
Norm.. great post.. and video.. but have to agree with ODB.. that was a teaser.. :-)... hopefully you will be posting more vids..

MacFly
[signature]
The original build thread for the composite tube rod rest is here:
[url "http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=414929#p414929"]http://www.bigfishtackle.com/cgi-bin/gforum/gforum.cgi?post=414929#p414929[/url]
The pics might be useful in case anyone wants to play with putting corners and bends into straight CF rods.

The low rod rest is from Tubedude's early horizontal models, with ideas for the locking breech slot rod holder grooves from the late Zonker. And the idea of a rotatable camera boom came from ATfishing who did the first one in PVC. Thanks to all for the inspiration
I added my spin on those ideas, and tried to see how it might be done in composites instead of PVC, but this is only one way.

I only did the boom recently as an addon to the rod rest already made. Adding camera angle adjustability is the next desirable feature I am thinking of right now.
But to be honest, a successor for the whole thing is already beginning to morph into sufficient clarity, that after the summer a Mk2 version should be on the cards.

So this forum is quite the tubing idea melting pot, eh?

I'll try to get a few fishing reports over the coming weeks.
[signature]