Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
small tube pump.
Hello everyone.

So here is a small problem I have .I pump up my tube SFC very nice and hard and put it on the water.
Off I go fishing and in about 3-5 min. the tube is very
soft from the cold water.
So I have to go back to shore,use some fine words, out of my tube, take
the fins off, walk to my car, get the pump....... you get
the picture.
What a pain in the a%&
So I was thinking-is the a small pump of some kind
that I can just have on board and just pump up the
boat as I need still on the water?
Any ideas ?
Thank you Peter.
[signature]
This is what I use:

[Image: Pump2-1.jpg]

However, once mine is filled it stays filled, but it is either urethane or bladderless.
[signature]
yeah-k pump is nice but way to big and kinda lot of
money. I was thinking something smaller.Thank you anyways my lady [Wink].

peter.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]You can get a small red two way pump at Walmart for about $12. (See pic) We used to always carry one in one of our tubes when fishing in cold water. [/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Since they do not work well if they get water inside, you should keep them in a plastic bag behind your seat.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[inline "AIR PUMPS.JPG"]
[signature]
How about a small bike tire pump (which only weighs a few ounces) of the type that is carried on the bike itself? Mine is 11.5" long by 7/8" diameter and is very easy to handle on the fly. Designed for high pressure and low volume but they are cheap (got mine free with my bike). I use it for topping my flip down wheel before rolling back to my vehicle. It should work for topping off a pontoon, though it will require MANY pumps.

If you have an accurate pressure guage, you can also slightly overpressure the tube while in the shade, but before entering the water. On my robust tubes, I can go to 3.5 #, then they drop down to 2.5# while in the water which is just about right. They are rated at 3 # pressure.

If you do increase pressure while on the water, remember to reduce pressure when you bring your tube out of the water for more than 20 minutes or so, especially if there will be sun exposure.

Pon

[quote peter805]Hello everyone.

So here is a small problem I have .I pump up my tube SFC very nice and hard and put it on the water.
Off I go fishing and in about 3-5 min. the tube is very
soft from the cold water.
So I have to go back to shore,use some fine words, out of my tube, take
the fins off, walk to my car, get the pump....... you get
the picture.
What a pain in the a%&
So I was thinking-is the a small pump of some kind
that I can just have on board and just pump up the
boat as I need still on the water?
Any ideas ?
Thank you Peter.[/quote]
[signature]
I was looking for the one pat posted. Its what I use now and its small but works great!!
[signature]
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhh[Smile]
the little red pump.....
that sounds very good.
thank you TD. [Wink]
[signature]
[quote pontoonman]How about a small bike tire pump (which only weighs a few ounces) of the type that is carried on the bike itself?

That may work as well...........I will stop by bike shop
and see what they got.
Thank you Pon

Peter
[signature]
I just thought about that. It's true, the "K" pump probably cost as much or more than most float tubes LOL.
The one I have is about 18" long and comes in a sock with clips so I can hang it right off the side of my tube or toon.
We had one of those little red pumps (in fact one of the big ones also) from Walmart. They work, but don't last very long, or at least our didn't. But, I realize we use it more than most.
The Bike pump is cool, but how do you adapt it to fit VALVES like Halkey, or what ever?
[signature]

[quote flygoddess]I just thought about that. It's true, the "K" pump probably cost as much or more than most float tubes LOL.
The one I have is about 18" long and comes in a sock with clips so I can hang it right off the side of my tube or toon.
We had one of those little red pumps (in fact one of the big ones also) from Walmart. They work, but don't last very long, or at least our didn't. But, I realize we use it more than most. Yes, even the bigger ones don't last long, unless you are just topping off.
The Bike pump is cool, but how do you adapt it to fit VALVES like Halkey, or what ever? You can use reducing or expanding adapters that come with just about any electric pump with latex tubing to make couplings. The ones with straight sections are best, but even the cone shaped work. Yes, I know you want pictures, but this should be easy to figure out.

Cheers,

Pon

[/quote]
[signature]
LMAO....WHAT???? I NEED PICTURES!!!!! BLONDE.....That was funny, thanks[Wink]
[signature]
Just in case someone can't see the coupling order:

Bike clamp valve>valve stem from old bike tire>snug latex tubing> small adapter end>large adapter end>larger snug latex tubing>Halkey etc. tube inflator.

Make the latex tubing the proper lengths to reach your tube inlets. Since such low pressures are involved snug tubing is enough, you don't need clamps. Nylon ratchet straps can be used if there are leaks due to slight mismatch without a snug fit. My pump came with short hose which made things a little easier.

Enjoy,

Pon
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Complicated but doable. I tried a small bike pump and it worked for minor topoffs. By comparison to the small red double action pump...there was no comparison. With the bike pump you get air only on half the pumping action and very low volume.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had one of the little red pumps for over two years of heavy use. My wife preferred it to pump up her tube and got it done just about as fast as I did mine with a larger pump.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
TWO YEARS! ? Amazing! It must be you. 6 months for us. The rubber plunger just wears out. Went through three of them, then got one of Scaddens double action and can really see the difference in workmanship. Had his for four years and still going strong.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]All it takes is a little silicone grease inside to keep the O ring healthy. Better quality pumps have better quality O rings and are prelubricated.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]The only reason we "retired" that red pump was that the thin plastic flaps you stand on finally broke off and it is a bear to pump up your tube like an accordian. Expanded my chest two shirt sizes.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We were using that pump an average of two to three times a week. I am sure that we got one of the rare "good" ones. I have had a couple of the higher priced Coleman and Sevylor pumps that did not last a year.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
And, do you deflate your tubes?
In other words, are you pumping them up from scratch or just topping off.
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]On long trips, when we are taking luggage and other supplies, we totally deflate them. On short runs we usually drop them about 50 percent...just enough to get them both inside the Jimmy.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Only takes two to four minutes per tube to air them up from flat. One to two minutes from partially filled. Of course that doesn't count the ten minutes of heavy breathing from all the heavy exertion. Gets tougher when ya get older.[/#0000ff]
[signature]
I hear ya. MY B-DAY today.....wa (cough) hooo![laugh]
[signature]
Here's a small pump that's supposed to be capable of high volume, but I have no idea if it works well or lasts very long: http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/18273-2...6&zmap=245

Thanks for the review of the red pump, I wondered if they had the power to fully top off. A little too bulky as a carry on for my small pontoon units, where volume space is at a premium. But I will get one for topping on before launch. Maybe the hardish space hog inflation hose can be replaced with latex.

Would be nice to have something LOW price that can used while sitting in your pontoon, or even while on the water, like a smallish K pump.

Pon

[quote TubeDude][cool][#0000ff]Complicated but doable. I tried a small bike pump and it worked for minor topoffs. By comparison to the small red double action pump...there was no comparison. With the bike pump you get air only on half the pumping action and very low volume.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]We had one of the little red pumps for over two years of heavy use. My wife preferred it to pump up her tube and got it done just about as fast as I did mine with a larger pump.[/#0000ff][/quote]
[signature]
[cool][#0000ff]Happy B-Day youngun.[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[#0000ff]Here's your present. (I picked it myself)[/#0000ff]
[#0000ff][/#0000ff]
[Image: 279202489_3b7c6da3f6.jpg?v=0]
[signature]